Free speech vs free speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Sydde, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Texas Story:

A woman in a Texas town puts up this collection of signs in her yard
    [​IMG]

Texas Ag Commissioner Sid Miller tells his FB groupies that the girl depicted on the sign in front is Brett Kavanaugh's daughter, because there is nothing quite so much fun as getting people het up.

The local police visit the woman, telling her that she will face arrest if the sign stays up, so she tells them to go ahead and remove it.

Free speech does have consequences (which are not supposed to be meted out by the government), and I confess that the sign might have been in questionable taste (you do not win people over by insulting them).

Yet, where are the consequences for Miller? He blorted out an outright lie, yet he faces no measurable reproach.

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

She should have told them to kiss her ***. I would have. Then, if they had the gall to actually arrest me I would sue them for every dime they had and also filed charges against them with federal prosecutors for violating my 1st Amendment rights, the AG Commissioner would have been included.

3. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Evidently implication is potentially criminal, but inference is not.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

We talking about Texas here. It's free speech until they tell you it's not. :cool:

6. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

What do you mean by implication? Are you saying that the sign implies something? Because it looks pretty up-front to me.

7. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

She should have stood her ground. I wouldn't have posted one of those signs, but she had a right to post those. I hope she sues and wins a large judgment. Unfortunately, if she wins it'll ultimately be paid by taxpayers. The individuals violating the constitution should personally be held responsible.

8. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Free speech is under attack by both sides in our country folks. Remember, our rights are only as strong as our will to fight for them. They are not absolute nor are they guaranteed.