Free Tibet (from what?)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by alphaod, Nov 7, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know a number of folks who advocate for this "cause." There are many times of groups created for this. What I never understand is why are so many people supportive of an idea without having ever witnessed the "injustices." How many of this supporters of the "cause" have any idea what Tibet is even like? I know many folks who just love bringing this subject up every so often.

Recently I asked an individual why they supported the whole idea and I was given some points many surrounding the fact that the Chinese government are tyrannical, killing random Tibetans, and what-not. Where do these arguments even come from? I have noted a lot of the "evidence" is based from Western media and half-truths.

Having been to Tibet, some of the things I have learned first-hand are people are not being oppressed and the welfare programs for Tibetan are plentiful. If anything the Chinese governments treats the Tibetans better than our government (US) have been treating the Native Americans. Sometimes yes you will see soldiers in places taking control, but if some town in the United States were in a state of lawlessness, what would the American government do? Just sit back and watch?

I don't want to do off on a rant, but I just feel people need to be aware of what they're support before they blindly spew what little they know as whole-truths and absolutes.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Tibet was a free country for centuries until China invaded in 1950 and asserted its control, killing tens of thousands in the process. Tibetans are denied all manner of basic human rights - the most notable being self-determination - hence the "Free Tibet" movement.

It's not rocket science!

3. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Free country? You've got to be kidding. Historically, Tibet--because of its location--was a very isolated country that was essentially a theocracy with Buddhist monks more or less running the country. Free country by the post-1776 definition it isn't. It's so isolated that it wasn't until the 2006 that there was a railroad link to China itself.

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Indeed, people tend to see the current Dalai Lama, that charming, sweet old man with a great sense of humor, and project that personality back onto an imaginary enlightened pre-China Tibet that never existed.

I do think the Dalai Lama is genuine, not waging some sort of charm offensive, but that temperament he displays is something he developed as a part of accepting his fate as an exile stripped of power. Tibet was no paradise, and were he never exiled, the Dalai Lama's outlook might be quite different, and much closer to his more authoritarian predecessors.

The viability of a previous government is, of course, in no way an argument for or against a later occupation, but the lack of a romanticized vision of Tibet-that-wasn't leads me to view the situation somewhat more pragmatically, and frankly I do not know enough about the facts on the ground to assume a strong position. The independence of the Tibetan people, if that is their desire, is a modern political matter, not the restoration of a mythical golden age that in particular the trendy supporters of the "Free Tibet" movement imagine.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I don't disagree with the sentiment here, but Tibet was really only free of outside rule from about 1912-1950--and arguably only so because China was in such bad shape with its civil war, etc.

Regardless, if the people of Tibet want independence, they should have it.

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

So you need a railroad to be considered "free"? :confused:

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Contact with the outside world is part of freedom.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

No... Freedom is to have a choice on wether or not you want to have contact with the outside world. China invaded them and took away any freedom that they had pushing their views on them. Therefore the Dali Lama is trying to remove China from their lands peacefully.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

No. Allowing the Tibetans self-determination to decide for themselves if they want contact with the wider world is freedom.

EDIT: What daflake said!