Free UK Text Apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dylanursula, Mar 9, 2011.

1. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Hey UK friends

Does anyone know of a free UK text app - I know there are a ton for US users, but did not know of one and couldnt find one that works for UK users and gives out a number to receive texts on too?

Thanks

2. cw2k7 macrumors member

Unlikely to find one due to the difference in the the way the US and UK charge for calls/texts.

In the US the text/call charge is split between both sender and receiver, the providers collect the fee separately so the receiving provider still gets paid for cost of delivering the call/text even when the sending provider is offering free texts/calls.

For now in the UK and Europe the sender is responsible for the whole call/text cost, the sending provider collects the money from the sender and then pays an set fee to the receiving provider, this means that free calls/texts can't be offered by sending provider as they wouldn't have anything to pay the receiving provider with.

3. -MRB macrumors 6502

Have you tried Whatsapp? It doesn't require a pin number, it automatically detects who uses Whatsapp in your contacts, and adds them to your favourites list.

Fully recommend it

4. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Try WhatsApp that's what I use to send pictures to my friends. But it is actually pretty good. I don't really chat using it as I have 12,000 texts every month :p

5. himesh macrumors regular

I can vouch for whatsapp, use it as much as I do texting

6. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

7. -MRB macrumors 6502

Hooraah for Whatsapp :)

Most used app - EVER!

At least for me anyway haha