FreeAgent Go HD: bought PC version inadvertently instead of Mac, can I still use it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by diehldun, Jan 5, 2009.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

I just came back from Costco and picked up a FreeAgent Go 250GB portable hard drive to back up my MBP for the first time. I just noticed, however, that the box doesn't mention anything about Mac OS X compatibility; just Windows XP/Vista. And a closer look at Seagate's website reveals that they sell two versions of the FreeAgent Go: a Mac and a PC version.

As Costco is quite a drive away, am I better off opening it up and giving it a try (do you think it'll be compatible with Time Machine?) or just return it for a different hard drive? I really should've paid closer attention to the compatibility labeling (or lack thereof)... I suspect it should be okay, but better safe than sorry I guess. Thanks.

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Yeah, you should be able to. My guess is that the only difference between the Windows and Mac versions are that 1 is FAT32 formatted, while the Mac version is Mac OS Journaled. Either ways, in Disk Utility, you can convert the drive.

3. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

yes. And use disk utility, not the software that came with the drive.

4. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

The difference appears to be the PC version comes with syncing software, is USB only, and is formatted with NTFS, while the Mac version has FW800/400 in addition to USB, comes with no software, and is formatted as HFS+. If you can mount and see the drive with disk utility, then just reformat the drive as HFS+ and you should be good to go.

5. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies! After opening up Disk Utility, how do you "reformat" the drive to HFS+ from NTFS? Should I reformat before I backup my stuff? And is this necessary? Thanks again.

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

1. Select the drive
    2. Click on the Erase pane
    3. Specify the format - as indicated in the screen cap
    4. Give the drive a name
    5. Click erase

Attached Files:

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

And it most certainly is necessary. Mac OS X can't even write to NTFS formatted disks without third party software. And for Time Machine to work, it needs to be HFS+.

8. hydrokayak macrumors member

I just purchased this drive from Amazon, and noticed after buying that it was listed as XP/Vista only. A few of the reviews said that they were unable to get them to work, especially with the dock, so I panicked a little.

Fortunately you guys confirmed my thoughts that the individual was incorrect. I think I should have gotten the FW800 version, but this will be fine for my current needs.