Freed North Korean prisoner dies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

**** this country, Who still thinks its a good idea to travel there?

"
    The comatose college student who was released from a North Korean prison last week died Monday afternoon, his family said.

Otto Warmbier, a 22-year-old University of Virginia undergrad who served 18 months behind bars in the hermit kingdom for alleged anti-state acts, died at 2:20 p.m. at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, according to a family statement obtained by NBC News."

http://nypost.com/2017/06/19/student-released-from-north-korea-in-coma-has-died/

2. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Very sad. He made a very, very stupid choice. Just overall a bad scenario.

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't understand how he could be in a coma for a year there and then die after he gets here with supposedly better healthcare. Unless the year narrative is a lie and he really fell into a coma just recently. That would make more sense.

Although it still begs the question....what happened to him? So far I think the explanation has been unsatisfactory.

And yeah, North Korea is horrible. No one should be traveling there. In a news conference a few days ago, Otto's father blamed tour groups and all sorts of things for sucking people in, but ultimately it was his son's decision to go there. It unfortunately was a grave life-ending mistake.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

He came back to the US in a coma. Probably beaten and NK wanted to release him before he died on their soil.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Feel horrible for the kid and his family. People need to use their heads about where they go. Stay the hell out of 3rd world **** holes like NK. Listen, there's a 50% chance of ending up dead if you visit Libya or Syria at the moment, might want to steer clear of those earthly gems at the moment.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Sorry for his family.
    Lesson to be learned: Don't go to NK.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Can't imagine his parents being all "Ok son, you have a good time in North Korea". If I told my parents I was going to spend some time on the south side of Chicago at 22, their response would have been "What are you out of your ****ing mind?".

9. deany macrumors 68030

deany

'the Fat one' only "released" Otto so he didn't die on North Korean's 'watch'.

This is dispicable, USA you need to do something about it.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Your guess is very possible. The other potential option is that the North Koreans were keeping him on life support to use as a bargaining chip while when he got back to his family the doctors told them there was no hope of him recovering so they toook him off life support and just made him comfortable until he died.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well since apple killed the iPod our bargaining leverage is much less.

12. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

While I certainly can't disagree with that, I would say in this case the lesson should be: Don't go to NK, but if you do, DON'T steal ANYTHING. That was utterly stupid on his part and he would almost certainly have made it out okay had he not done so.

Mike

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

We don't know if he stole anything, that's what the NK claimed he did.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

or don't feed the natives don't try to convert them to your religion don't go wandering off on your own don't say anything bad about the great leader.

15. deany, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Yes if he did pinch something.
    I'm from Liverpool originally and Penny Lane dont have sign posts anymore because they've been pinched (not by me).
    WOW what a crime punishably by torture and death.
    IMG_1027.JPG

Tourist souvenir friendly sign.

Attached Files:

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Are you talking about NK or Trump?

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They rely enough on tourism for money that they probably wouldn't make up charges for no reason.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Time to steal the bricks.

20. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

like what?

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Right, because North Korea doesn't ever lie to the outside world. Plenty of former "prisoners" have recanted their "confessions" because of fear and coercion.

22. deany macrumors 68030

deany

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

24. deany, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Sanctions, (and this is one reason why I have always thought apple inc. are making a mistake putting nearly all their 'apples (eggs) in one basket'.)

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Hard to say. A photo the other day showed him being carried when arriving here. It's rather grainy, but there might be something on his face. Still, when I think of life support I don't think of people being carried, but rather people rolled on stretchers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...warmbier-released-north-korea-prison-arrives/