Freedom Fighters vs SAS: An Object Lesson in Futility

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Apr 9, 2008.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7337873.stm
    And so it will continue. Our vile occupation is achieving nothing but death and destruction.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm not sure what to say, but feel I should say something, as much as I complain that no one responds to my threads on Iraq.

If you could, for the uninitiated, maybe post a little more about the SAS. I have the Wiki info, and found a bunch of stuff on Serial Attached SCSI :rolleyes: but that's not much. Appreciate it.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The whole thing is a gigantic mess,the militaristic lunatics (of all varieties) who think anything useful can be achieved by killing and maiming seriously depress me but at the same time I can't help but empathise with the vast majority of people in that area who just want to live their lives.That kind of incident creates hatred that will last generations.I also believe the "sources" are madly spinning what happened and if historical behaviour of the SAS and their ilk is anything to go by the streets residents accounts are likely to be nearer the truth."Surgical strikes" my arse.

4. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

They like to see themselves as the ultimate special forces, twice as hard as your wimpy Navy SEALS. Born out of the Long Range Desert Group during WW2.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Special Air Service Regiment

They are most famous for the televised raid on the London Iranian Embassy in 1980.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, doesn't do us much good to kill two terrorists if we create a dozen more in the process.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

How many more civilians are we going to have to kill before they realize that we are there to help them. You'd think they'd appreciate this wonderful liberation and freedom that we are trying to give them. :rolleyes:

8. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Over 4,000 DEAD U.S. Servicemen and Women. Why?

And when the "lucky" ones come home they have to fight the military and the VA for disability benefits they more than qualify for. Why? Meanwhile, government employees buy iPods, lingerie, designer suits, and dating services with their government credit cards. :rolleyes:

I say round up all the government employees who like charging personal items with their government credit cards and send them to Iraq to fight. Makes me sick.

/end rant

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

According to every one I ask who still defend it, 9/11. Because 9/11 changed everything. I wish I was being snarky. It's happened here too. Still.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

9/11 did change everything. If you possessed even a basic understanding of history, you would know that 9/11 was the vilest, most evil attack ever, and that no civilians had ever before been killed in war or by an act of terror.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I've always understood the SAS to be a combination of Delta Force and US Navy SEALS (especially when operating with the Special Boat Squadron as they did in the Falklands).

Worth noting that US Special Forces have also taken casualties in Afghanistan and Iraq as well. Also, the Delta force suffered significant casualties in Somalia.

It's worth noting that any Special Forces unit, whether it be Spetnaz or SEALS, can be chopped to pieces in the right circumstances. A small and light forces relies on speed and surprise, without these advantages, they're in trouble.

Of course, we can also see how difficult this war is. As I understand it from the article, SAS troops went on a raid. They used flash-bangs (lots of sound and light, but a non-lethal weapon) and were engaged by Iraqi insurgents. Pinned down, the SAS troops called in air-support, which included an AC-130 (this would account for the 40mm rounds) and something else (a bomb was dropped, this could be dozen of different fighters and bombers loitering overhead). As a result, people were killed, including women and children who were in the house with the "bomb makers."

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Operative phrase being "They like to see themselves as..."

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Maybe in some cases. I won't say the very limited selection of military people in my family are in any way broadly representative, but the answer I would get from them is simply, "because it's my job." I disagree with this war as much as anyone, but it really isn't fair to ask the servicepeople to justify the policy that puts them in harm's way.

14. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

10/10 for observation!

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I know, I really can read those sentences, huh!

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Point being? As I understand it the SAS is a very highly-regarded SF branch. As pointed out previously, however, no matter how well-trained any individual or group might be, they can still find themselves in trouble under the right(wrong) circumstances.

Insofar as I accept the possibility of continued International military presence in Iraq - I am a big fan of that being a small footprint of specialized, SF operations. Although crap can always hit the fan, it is less likely to with these personnel.