Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Metal Hippy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
As I've just finished saying on YouTube:
"So, let me guess - this is yet another device that will only allow you to run the apps that Apple lets you run? I understand that like the iPhone and iTouch, Apple can also zap your iPad if they don't like what you're doing with it "

BTW, I own (and use) an iBook G4, however I will never buy any of the above products unless the AppStore is closed in favour of tradional software deployment methods (otherwise known as 'free choice') and Apple removes the remote kill-switch which they seem to be installing in more and more products.

If you don't believe the last point is true, ask a hacked iPhone owner what would happen if Apple knew he'd tried to exercise his right to choose his own software or cell-phone company.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Yeh. Good luck with that.

If only Apple would listen to guys like you...they might be able to have a successful business model.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Ok, I have put you down in the "not gonna buy" column

iPad-20100311-213930.jpg

Next...

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
So you started an entire thread to let us know your not buying an iPad?

Lucky for me no one is forcing me buy the iPad or any Apple products, at least here in the US we have the "freedom of choice" to buy or not buy products. I know how the Apple eco system works, I have an iPhone, and iMac, pretty much everyone on MR is fairly technically savvy to what they are buying, or not buying.

Not sure what your point is other than declaring your not buying the iPad. :)

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
So you started an entire thread to let us know your not buying an iPad?

Lucky for me no one is forcing me buy the iPad or any Apple products, at least here in the US we have the "freedom of choice" to buy or not buy products. I know how the Apple eco system works, I have an iPhone, and iMac, pretty much everyone on MR is fairly technically savvy to what they are buying, or not buying.

Not sure what your point is other than declaring your not buying the iPad. :)

I know I for one couldn't sleep until I knew of his purchasing decision.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
I think an environment where Apple can shape the overall experience and maintain a certain level of quality is a plus, not a minus, and ultimately ends up far better than an open, chaotic, fragmented system. In this model, it's Apple's choice, and I think we'll get a higher quality experience than in something like the Android model.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I understand that like the iPhone and iTouch, Apple can also zap your iPad if they don't like what you're doing with it "

Actually, no. They can kill a particular app if it turns out to be malicious (i.e. a virus). They can't just "zap" your device, whatever that means exactly.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
i'm not saying its right or wrong either way.... i see pros and cons both ways and open is always good.
But its apple's device they can do what they want.
Just like RIM's devices.
Just like Google Android devices.
Just like windows mobile 7 devices.

All of them are essentially closed devises

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
"So, let me guess - this is yet another device that will only allow you to run the apps that Apple lets you run? I understand that like the iPhone and iTouch, Apple can also zap your iPad if they don't like what you're doing with it "
BTW, I own (and use) an iBook G4, however I will never buy any of the above products unless the AppStore is closed in favour of tradional software deployment methods (otherwise known as 'free choice') and Apple removes the remote kill-switch which they seem to be installing in more and more products.
If you don't believe the last point is true, ask a hacked iPhone owner what would happen
if Apple knew he'd tried to exercise his right to choose his own software or cell-phone company.

Boy, what in the name of Gods Green Earth are you talkin' about?

Assuming you are on God's Green Earth?

No? - I get it - you're one of them 'trolls' - aren't ya? :D

On a side note - I LOVE YOU DAWG! - you make me laugh every day :)

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
It's funny, despite your claims about my lack of choice, through the app store, no other phone on the market can do half what my iPhone does.

Metal Hippy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Heh - thanks for the replies :)

I would have no problem buying an iPad as I thik that technically, it's quite a cool machine. All I want is the ability to choose where I get my software from.

Ok, I have put you down in the "not gonna buy" column

iPad-20100311-213930.jpg

Next...
Love it! :D

The tin foil hat prevents this from happening!

tinfoil-hat-2.jpg
Meh - I have more hair on my head than most women, so basically, this ain't gonna happen! :p

Cheers,
Metal Hippy

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
Heh - thanks for the replies :)

I would have no problem buying an iPad as I thik that technically, it's quite a cool machine. All I want is the ability to choose where I get my software from.

This will sound completely naive on my part... But does it matter where the apps come from? I know apple has a lot of control, but most of their actions have been "for the great good" of the iPhone and its user experience.
Then i hear about open-ness...yada yada from google but their Android system is just as closed as Apple's. You still have to use an Android phone.
How do you have more choice from any other phone?

I guess i just don't get it. If Walmart and amazon sold apps are they going to be any better than whats on the itunes store?

Seo

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Cupertino, California
^ Lol, you don't even want the freedom to make choices. That freedom will enslave you to choice, and therefore it's obviously preferrable to let Big Bro- I mean, Apple, make your choices for you. After all, it's for Big Bro- I mean, your own good. ;)

Joking aside, Apple hasn't been abusing their power yet, although they have annoyed some app developers. But, I can understand their position. They can't please everybody, and those who care about their kids not having access "inappropriate" material probably outnumber those who would be upset by the change. Apple's gotta make a choice somehow...

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
^ Lol, you don't even want the freedom to make choices. That freedom will enslave you to choice, and therefore it's obviously preferrable to let Big Bro- I mean, Apple, make your choices for you. After all, it's for Big Bro- I mean, your own good. ;)

Joking aside, Apple hasn't been abusing their power yet, although they have annoyed some app developers. But, I can understand their position. They can't please everybody, and those who care about their kids not having access "inappropriate" material probably outnumber those who would be upset by the change. Apple's gotta make a choice somehow...

My point is how is getting an app from apple any different than getting an app from any other app store? They are all locked into their OS.
I have the freedom to choose android, apple, web os, or windows mobile 7.
How are any of them making my app choices for me? I can choose or not choose any of them or any of the apps they have.
Also Apple chose not to allow "inappropriate material" apps into the store... Are they even apps? or are they content providers. I still have the ability to get that content elsewhere.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Way to do research before making outrageous claims.

To date there have been ZERO cases of Apple doing anything to jailbroken iPhones and iTouches.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
I don't like physical computers because they limit me to apps that actually exist. I much prefer the computer that's in my imagination; it can run anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.