Freedom of religion for some but not all if you're a taxicab driver?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So basically if I call a stripper company and ask for 6'0 busty blonds only I can be sued by a midget?

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Height isn't a protected class. Gender is a protected class. The company engaged in discrimination and had an obligation to deny the request. That's the same as a pizzeria being asked by a customer to only send a white delivery driver and not a black one. If the pizzeria obliges this request, they have engaged in racial discrimination. Simple stuff.

You can't break the law and say "well, the customer asked me to!"

PS
    Your thread title makes no sense.

4. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I work as an OB/Gyn, there are times where a patient refuses to see me because I'm a man. Are you saying I have monies out there I can sue for because I've been discriminated against?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I expect there's a healthcare/intimacy exemption. You can usually require to be searched by a member of the same gender for example.

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I need proof.

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

of what?

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

My pleasure! This situation came up in federal court and it was decided that it doesn't qualify as gender discrimination. Sometimes exceptions are made. Wanting another female digging around in your vag instead of a man isn't discrimination.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course not. The patient (customer) is free to discriminate. You, as the doctor, can't decide you only want to treat blondes or big busted women. Well you can but expect to get sued and lose.

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Of what I quoted, was that it obvious?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2016 ---
    I was being facetious, but uhh...thanks?

In all seriousness, I don't want to see a patient who isn't happy seeing me. I can't do my job as well as I'd like if the patient isn't comfortable enough to answer some pretty sensitive and personal questions.

11. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Theoretically, one could argue that the clinic is obligated not to honor a patient's request for a female OBGYN. But the courts have rejected this.

12. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

So are you implying the Saudi guy (customer) did nothing wrong, and the company was correct to honor his request?

13. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

You're welcome!

Of course, the medical field is a very intimate field and comfort between patient and doctor is a necessity. Cab drivers? Not so much....

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What's with people starting threads with just a link and nothing else?

15. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Is the government requiring that a Saudi princeling only be driven by a male cabbie? If so, then you have a freedom of religion complaint. Otherwise, not so much.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The customer did nothing wrong (well, he is an *******) but the business did.

17. unlinked macrumors 6502a

"Three Minnesota women have been awarded $130,000 each in a gender discrimination lawsuit after claiming that a Saudi prince dismissed them from their chauffeur jobs because he did not female drivers."

People should really have to get a certificate of online posting before posting words on the internet.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Actually he did something wrong. He already hired the females and they already chauffeured the women and kids. If he requested no women from the start, the suit against him would be thrown out.

19. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'll freely admit that I haven't read the link in the OP. What did the business do wrong? Comply with the customer's request? (which you are on record as saying was not wrong to begin with)

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A customer can't compel a business to break a law.

You couldn't go into a Jewish deli and ask them to rob the bank next door.

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

They were fired. The three women were hired only for this particular job and got dismissed two days into it.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

True. (And yes, the thread title is confusing. If anybody's religious rights were infringed, it was actually the Saudi guy... weird, huh?)

But I'm just a little troubled by this.

Because, much as I abhor discrimination, I think in hiring certain personal services, the individual has a reasonable expectation to have that service provided by a person of a specific gender.

If I want to hire a butler to greet guests and pour wine; I think I'm entitled to want that person to be a man of a certain age and gravitas. I think my wife is entitled to request a female masseuse to give her rubdowns after yoga and tennis sessions. (Gosh, it sure is tough to be incredibly wealthy in this country.. decisions, decisions....)

This wasn't a company or institution making the request. If my corporation is hiring security guards or ditch diggers, I think in that case there is a much higher threshold to clear before gender discrimination becomes acceptable: ie. there are plenty of women with the strength and skills required. But in one's personal service, sitting in a car seat a few inches away from you? Yeah - I think its not unreasonable for a person to request a specific gender of driver.

23. citizenzen, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Your home is not a "place of public accommodation" so you would not be held to the same standards as a privately owned business that offers good and services to the public.

And your wife is in luck, as the sex of one giving you a massage is considered a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification. And there is case law that backs up that specific qualification ...

Please note, however, that the sex of a driver is not "an essential job duty and is considered necessary for operation of the particular business." This is why the Saudi prince and the limo company weren't legally able to discriminate against women while your wife can when looking for someone to massage her body.