Freedom of speech at the post office?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Feb 10, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

While my local post office allows for political petitioners outside, they don't allow any political materials inside the post office or behind the glass display cases.

In the display cases are upcoming concerts, classes, and non-political community events of a pretty family-friendly nature.

Today, there was an anti-gang task force stack of literature left inside the post office, as against their rules, and a man (not with the post office) confiscated all of the anti-gang literature, but was kind enough to leave some change in return for the task force's printing costs, literally exact change and then some. This task force is an issue as to its cost effectiveness and there is a nasty sheriff's election coming up this spring which will bring up the anti gang task force as a major issue.

How weird is that? (Anyway, I live in an old folks town where if you left money out in public, it would be there the next day).

When I asked the post office employee what that was all about they said nobody can leave any political materials inside the post office but they always do and the janitor cleans them up anyway, no big deal.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's called electioneering.

Not allowed in any federal building.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Both the sheriff and his opponent both know that, I hope, and they are generally both considered very crooked by most citizens here. This coming election is about, "Which sheriff do you hate the least?".

The funny part was that the plain clothed man was either a member of the village people (handlebar mustache, black hair coloring from a bottle, 70s hip hair style) or a man like many (with that exact look) in the local sheriff's (county public safety) department. :p

The men here are generally 20 years behind the fashion curve, but the sheriffs are about 30 years behind. There are a couple of bars around the area where they all hang out, and I guess when they get their badge, they also get issued a mustache and an out of date haircut!

Attached Files:

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sheriff elections in small towns are funny. We replaced a fat slob sheriff with a drunkard recently.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I fail to make the connection between anti-gang information from the task force and electioneering. The sheriff's office's official business continues whether or not there's an election coming up, and such information would appear to be useful to the public at large. I don't see it as particularly different from the FBI's wanted posters, or the photos of missing children that I see in POs here and there.

"Vote for me! I fight gangs!" is a different deal entirely.

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

That's basically what the brochure is saying. It's an advertisement for a certain candidate. ;) ... saying for vote this fat dude with the mustache, not the slightly younger, yet fat dude with a mustache. It's been so petty it's almost like it's a script for a sitcom.