Freedom of speech being suppressed in America on Campuses

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Oct 2, 2015.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Nothing new!

I graduated in '92 and when I was in college the First Gulf War was going on. So supporting the military at the time got me in hot trouble with the administration and taught me if I didn't 'tow the line' of their politcal feelings.

Heck my popular College President was forced from his job because 7 art students found out he once worked on some CIA missions in Vietnam back in the day! He was the kind of administrator that would go out of his place to say hello to students and try to get feel of the students. He even got the hockey program going that eventually went division 1.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Political correctness is alive and well in the Academy. I recently read that a frat planned to host a "mad scientist" theme party, where the party-goers would don thick glasses, lab coats, and Einstein wigs. The university tried--and failed--to ban the party because "mad scientist" is offensive to people with mental-health issues. :rolleyes:

4. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds bad, people should be free to speak.

7. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Only if I like what they say :D

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Was it a public or private college? If the latter, it's surely simple enough to vote with the wallet and transfer credits to a college that will dictate the paying customers toe the line? That's what other people told me...
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    No argument here.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Hell maybe only if they have something worth listening to, or at least constructive. If you read a few of these things you might start thinking this country needs a kick in the behind instead of an economic jumpstart or maybe even a college education. Going to college may not fix all the atittude problems we have:

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Freedom of speech is just fine in this country. The problem is that there seem to be too many people who long for the days when they could call a black man a ****** to his face and get away with it.

Do you really want to be on that team? I didn't think so.

Freedom of Speech is never absolute. And universities, even our great public ones, are in effect private spaces. You can't sit around your office cubicle calling your boss an imbecile and expect not to get fired. And if you want to participate in the educational experience of one of our great universities, you have to abide by the rules they make. Don't like those rules? Don't go there.

11. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

doesn't matter if its private. you can't trample on people's 1st amendment rights. or any rights for that matter

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

13. VulchR, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

erm ... what about offence caused to scientists? :mad:

In any case, there is a fine line between opposing the policies of the nation-state of Israel and being just flat-out anti-Semitic. There are many anti-Israel groups in the UK, some of which are on campuses, and they often dance over that line. I have no trouble with anybody objecting to the policies of Israel. I do have an objection when people falsely equate Israel with Judaism. Quite apart from anything, there are many Jewish people in Israel who want peace with the Palestinians, and not all Israelis are Jewish. Many of these campus cases are more about sloppy thought on the part of the student organisations than favouring one political side over the other....

14. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

In Israel those that protest receive prison terms and tried by Military courts. Any time there are 10 or more people they require a permit from the Israeli military.
    http://www.vice.com/read/issa-amro-hebron-court-case-israel-nonviolent

15. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Of course I can; if you work for me and I don't like what you're saying: you're FIRED!

16. zin macrumors 6502

Odd, the article is about groups wishing to speak legally about sensitive areas of foreign affairs on campus and has nothing to do with wanting to call a black man a ****** to his face.

Is this another well-thought post from Drew or is it another fallacy attacking arguments about free speech that were never made in order to bring accusations of racism into a discussion unrelated to such? Colour me shocked.

17. ucfgrad93, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You just love to make up ****, don't you?

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

We could have it If you would stop abusing it.

19. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Freedom of speech is something I'm very interested in, since there's always so much hypocrisy and so many double standards surrounding it. It of course stems from the fact that it's natural for humans to defend speech they agree with and attack speech they don't, while delicately treading the line between disagreement and censorship.

I just started college a few days ago--at a campus, nonetheless, that made the news a few years ago because of the clashes and hostilities between pro-Israel and pro-Palestine groups. The most infamous piece of news was a video of pro-Palestine students shouting down pro-Israel students with collective cries of "Allahu akbar!" The reason I bring this up is: to what extent is shouting down someone a violation of freedom of speech? This also became relevant during Trump rallies where protesters attempted to shout him down from the crowd.

If a controversial speaker decides to cancel his planned speech because he fears protests, is that a violation of freedom of speech? It seems to me that people have a right to protest and unless this speaker was actually given direct threats, which are not protected speech, his choice to cancel his speech does not mean his 1st amendment rights were violated.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

We'll be dry, there are a lot of people here who think that freedom of speech is being infringed. How many of us here do you think want to call black people *******?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Some percentage of Trump supporters. Maybe not half like Hilary said. But a lot.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Very insightful. [/sarcasm] Nice to see you support @vrDrew just making **** up.

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The PC Culture in schools can bite me. Our local schools are on the bandwagon of nuetralizing a lot of things too but we don't have to stick to it. The "Irish Festival" is St. Patrick's day. Happy holidays is cool but we say Merry Christmas. If you don't celebrate either then move on.

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Zero is a percentage. Let's say it's zero.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I work at a university where the quad is reserved for speakers or bands. Even though we're a very liberal community, a number of the regular speakers are evangelicals. I've always seen respect given to the speakers (or at least polite silence). Since that venue works on a reservation system, any point of view simply needs to apply for a spot to get their message across. There is no need to shout somebody down when you can reserve your time for counter argument. Under that system, drowning out a speaker seems to me to be at least rude and unnecessary. We also have more formal events where the audience is charged admission, or seating is limited to hear a speaker. And under those circumstances shouting them down, or causing them to cancel due to fear, is not appropriate.