Freedom of the Press, Imprisonment of Others

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Apr 7, 2007.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The state of the union: the state we have arrived at.
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/fisk/article2430125.ece
    For your information.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i am nearly out of anger to give, but i'll muster up just a little more for this.

grrrrrrrrr.........

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Here is a snippet from his interview with O'Reilly.

link

Here we go on the "death to Israel, death to america" doesn't mean people, just government, thing again.

It seems a little too convenient that people say these things and hide behind the word's true meaning, yet suicide bombings still happen and planes fly into buildings. If they really meant death to only the government, why would these things happen? Obviously someone out there doesn't get the subtle nuance of "death to Israel.

Is anybody that surprised that this guy was investigated and jailed after saying these things in the wake of 9/11. Al-Arian has quite a long rap sheet including:

wiki

This guy is probably just an intellectual and shouldn't be in jail. Still unless he's VERY CLEAR about what his teachings mean-- that 'death to Israel' and 'Jihad' DON'T mean to actually kill people-- how are young muslims and the US government supposed to know the difference?

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Sometimes relatively decent people find themselves in concert with evil people, and think their native decency protects them.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm unclear: are you defending the contempt charge?