FRESH EVIDENCE: back of 3g ipod is scratch prone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donster28, Jun 11, 2008.

1. alFR macrumors 68020

Thought as much. Well, at least it'll boost case sales. :rolleyes:

2. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

that's true but i just hate putting condoms on my devices! ;)

3. ripkord macrumors 6502

4. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

5. elbirth macrumors 65816

maybe I'm blind, but I don't really see any scratching on the iPhone in those pictures... just smudges from your fingerprints, which I pretty much expected. (and those can be wiped off)

are there any better pictures that show actual scratching?

6. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

I don't see them either, the only mention of them is:

That isn't real world evidence.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Early reviews also state that the signal is significantly improved on the new model. Ditching the metal was a necessary sacrifice, and one that I'm glad Apple have taken in a rare triumph of function over form.

8. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

yeah, those are just smudges! scratching would be a lot different.... :rolleyes:

9. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Yeah, I don't care. The screen is the part you use. Plus if it improves reception and allows for GPS, not a big deal to me. I don't think it looks as good, but oh well.

It's like the iPod. The backs of both of my are scratched to hell.

I'd rather it get scratched up than put a case on it. Feels too nice in the hands!

10. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Exactly, and i don't think that apple will repeat the nano scratch fiasco that ended in a lawsuit, they will use a different material, maybe not scratch proof, but certainly more durable

11. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Sometimes, I really don't know if Apple just doesen't care what people ask for or just doesen't listen.

I thought we were finally done with the scratch prone acrylic plastic we had on the 3rd Gen/4th Gen/5th Gen iPods and I thought enough people complained about the case issues that Apple decided to make the 6th Gen iPod entirely aluminum, but no.

I'm still getting the iPhone 3G - just making sure I have a case or invisible shield ready as soon as I open the box.

12. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I prefer the look of the metal back on the original phone but the new phone has more features I want so I'll get it.

I've ordered an invisible shield for the back and getting some kind of film (like Martin Fields) for the screen. Hope that takes care of it.

13. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

i agree. i too will be getting it and making sure i get a clear case for it, at the same time hopefully.

when i bought my ipod touch, no cases were available so i ended up with scratches on the back before i got a great belkin invisible case a few months after.

damn, i wish they use scratch proof plastic already (if there is such a thing).

oh wait...there is such a thing: the plastic they use for the front of the PSP. That thing is tough but yes, it does get scratches if you abuse it but simple wiping doesn't hurt it a bit. i just hope they used the same kind on the iphone 3g.

14. badgerman macrumors 6502a

what is the invisible shield stuff, can you fwd a link?

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can't believe there are people who would rather have a phone that works worse, just so that it scratches less.

But, apparently, they exist!

As for me, I'm happy to see Apple putting function over form for once.

16. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Here is the content direct from iLounge. Pretty crazy stuff. I am definitely convinced that this is not something I want. I will probably stick with the 1st generation iPhone for now.

"Now that the iPhone 3G has been officially unveiled, we’ve been seeing more pictures and hearing further details about the rear casing from developers who have spent hours with it, and the verdict is this: get ready to invest in protective film and/or a case. Unlike the original iPhone, which has proved much more resilient to the sorts of scratches and scuffs that plague iPods, the iPhone 3G’s shell is indeed just glossy plastic with a thin layer of clear coating. It’s not ceramic, as some might have guessed, and not covered in a magic material that won’t scuff: as a result, you can expect to see marks similar to the ones on first-generation iPod nanos and fifth-generation iPods, all over again. The black version, as shown here, picks up fingerprints and smudges at an impressive rate; we wish we’d been able to take some pictures without the smudges. Ironically, the white plastic color that Apple discontinued for iPods may wind up being the most attractive color for new iPhones, especially after spending a few days in a pocket or purse."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Oh no! The plastic back of the iPhone "smudges". :eek:

I guess I'll have to cancel my interest with o2... :rolleyes:

18. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's what I thought :confused: Looks like greasy hands on shiny plastic, hardly earth shattering stuff. Especially given the vastly improved reception it enables.

20. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

It's not the 'smudges' that most are worried about.

"Unlike the original iPhone, which has proved much more resilient to the sorts of scratches and scuffs that plague iPods, the iPhone 3G’s shell is indeed just glossy plastic with a thin layer of clear coating. It’s not ceramic, as some might have guessed, and not covered in a magic material that won’t scuff: as a result, you can expect to see marks similar to the ones on first-generation iPod nanos and fifth-generation iPods, all over again."

21. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

I don't see why this is such a revelation. Just look at the iPods and how easily they scratch. :rolleyes:

22. Asar macrumors regular

anyone notice theres no camera on this case? whats up with that?

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Heh. Nice catch.

24. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

I think this forum is for Apple fans, not people with OCD.

I bet the plastic casing will also carry more germs than the metal one. OMG! WTF?