Fresh Install of Mountain Lion and a Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RMSko, Aug 20, 2012.

1. RMSko macrumors 6502

I had previously upgraded my rMBP from Lion to ML, but, for a variety of reasons, decided to do a fresh install of ML. I didn't need a bootable disk since I had already done the upgrade from Lion. I wasn't aware of this and for those wanting to do a fresh install of ML, w/o creating a bootable disk, you can first upgrade to ML and then restart the laptop and hold down command and "R" until the Apple logo appeared. I then repartitioned the hard drive via Disk Utility (the Genius Bar suggested that was better than erasing the hard drive) and then simply installed ML on the freshly partitioned hard drive.

Based on the above procedure, it wiped everything off my hard drive, which is what I wanted. But, now I'm just wondering about one thing with Coconut Battery. I had to reinstall it, which I expected, but it actually retained all of the info re # of life cycles, age of my laptop, etc. I would've assumed it was all wiped when I repartitioned (and erased) the hard drive, but I guess this and some other info is kept outside of the primary hard drive partition. Is that right?

If yes, other than the ML installation, what else is also kept outside of the primary hard drive partition. I was having some minor problems before and just want to make sure I wiped out everything I wanted to.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Coconut Battery gets its info directly from the battery itself, so nothing you ever do with the OS will change the readings in that app. You could put in a new blank drive and do a fresh install and battery status apps would still show the same readings direct from the battery.

Nothing is stored outside the main partition.

You are in good shape! :)

3. RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - this is very helpful and interesting! Just curious, where is the reinstallation of ML and Disk Utility stored (the stuff that is there when you restart holding down command and "R")?

4. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

The Recovery HD is on a hidden recovery partition on your hard drive 1GB or less (if you change drives, you will lose it until you reinstall).

The downside to doing a reinstall via the Recovery partition is it has to download the install media over the internet instead of being present with a full install.

5. RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

Downside meaning it takes longer to update? It's also interesting that it kept my internet connection even after I repartitioned and erased the hard drive (I guess it needs to do that or else you wouldn't be able to do a fresh install this way).

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

WiFi/Ethernet connection details are retained in the PRAM if memory serves.