Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hi, I bought the 500gb scorpio Blue drive from Western Digital. I'm gonna install it on my unibody macbook. I have never done this before because I have always used imacs so I was wandering if somebody could walk me through the steps necessary after the physical installation of the drive (I will follow the manual for that bit) I.e. the installation of leopard and formatting the drive etc.

MANY MANY THANKS.;)

Edit : What are the rules/icons next to the usernames???

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
Simple slot in the installation disc, not the application disc, power up machine. Hold either alt or C. Till you can see the osx DVD symbol. Select the disc, agree to licensing info. Then you will come to the main screen if you look on the top tool bar, you will see the option of using disk utility, use this to partition the drive in to mac os x guid partitioned. Then format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Exit this and carry on with the install, you can select a custom install and get rid of additional languages and drivers.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Simple slot in the installation disc, not the application disc, power up machine. Hold either alt or C. Till you can see the osx DVD symbol. Select the disc, agree to licensing info. Then you will come to the main screen if you look on the top tool bar, you will see the option of using disk utility, use this to partition the drive in to mac os x guid partitioned. Then format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Exit this and carry on with the install, you can select a custom install and get rid of additional languages and drivers.

Brilliant, Thanks!!!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.