Fresh SL install, entire OS keeps freezing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PhazonUK, May 10, 2011.

1. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Just bought a new 500GB HDD for my MacBook and did a fresh install of Snow Leopard and the OS keeps freezing randomly. It doesn't crash, it just freezes for a second and then carries on. It happens no matter what program I am using. Even as I am typing this it stops and then all my letters appear on screen all at once.

Strange thing is, any music carries on playing fine and my cursor still moves around the screen without stopping. But if I'm watching a video, scrolling down a page, or typing, it will stop for a second for two and then be fine again.

It didn't bother be at first but now I know it's happening it is getting really irritating. Would another fresh install fix this or could it be a problem with my MacBook for the new hard drive?

EDIT: One particular thing it does this is VERY often is Flash videos. I know Flash generally sucks for OSX but I've never had it do that. But the problem still occurs when Flash is not being used.

2. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

have you tried booting in safe mode? what apps have you installed since dropping in that drive?

3. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Not tried Safe Mode yet.
    Not installed anything I didn't have before. I've got:
    Adium
    Curse (WoW)
    Cyberduck
    Deeper
    Dropbox
    Google Chrome
    Handbrake
    InsomniaX
    Microsoft Office 2011 ful suite
    Silverlight
    Paragon NTFS
    RipIt
    Rowmote Helper
    Seamless (Mac App Store)
    Spashtop Remote Streamer
    Tiny Umbrella
    Twitter (Mac App Store)
    uTorrent
    VLC
    World Of Warcraft

I had all of these Apps installed before I did the clean install and I never had any problems then.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Go to Activity Monitor, view "All Processes" and sort by CPU. Whatare the top numbers?

5. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Just checked Activity Monitor and nothing out of the ordinary.
    Chrome is up top when Flash is running, other than that everything uses up hardly anything.

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

The symptoms you describe are what I got when the hard disk was beginning to fail. The freezes got longer and longer quite quickly, until I had to replace the disk. Have you tried verifying the disk?

7. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

I'd agree with steve minus the fact that it's a brand new HD. Yes there are production bugs that cause DOA parts, but it is so rare. If you have a spare/old SATA drive lying around I would try that as a means to isolate the issue. I would also try alternate RAM if you have any lying around again, to isolate the problem.

Do you hear any clicking/buzzing/tapping noise anywhere near the hard drive area?

8. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Can you give us some specifics (brand, speed, etc.) on your new hard drive? The most recent one I purchased required a firmware update to address a few issues.

9. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

The hard drive is a 500GB 5400rpm Western Digital Scorpio Blue.

One thing I have noticed is that the hard drive sounds like it is spinning quite fast all of the time, and then it will slow down for a second or two and then speed up again. Can't say I ever noticed any noises from my old hard drive but I'll test that out soon to see if it's the same with that. Old hard drive is also a Scorpio Blue, but 320GB.