Friday 13th iPhone RAGE, O2 leave me 500 quid short and no phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ksimm, Aug 14, 2010.

1. ksimm macrumors newbie

I ordered my iPhone 4 from apple on the 30th of July, waited 2 weeks and was getting a little impatient. Yesterday, O2 went PAY & GO with the iPhone 4 and had stock.
    So, I cancelled my apple order, and placed my order with O2 which showed 'In-Stock' and gave me the option of Saturday delivery.

Last night I received 3 emails. One confirmed my order, the second it told me it was processing, and finaly one to tell me it was processed and preparing for dispatch. So I checked the status this morning and it still showed 'In Progress' 11am I decided to contact O2 through their online chat to see what was happening.

Funds were taken last night so I presumed it was on its way, how wrong was I. The following is my conversation with O2, despite the RAGE I somehow kept calm and died a little inside.

Gayle: Hi I'm Gayle from O2 Online Chat. How can I help you today?

Kevin: Hi there, I placed an online order from you yesterday for the iPhone 4. I chose saturday delivery, but I haven't received confirmation of shipping

Gayle: I'll definitely check this for you.

Gayle: Could you help me with the order number ?

Kevin: yes it's on-XXXXXXXX

Gayle: Thanks for waiting, Kevin.

Gayle: I've checked the order for you and I can see that it's currently out of stock that's the reason you've not received any confirmation for this.

Gayle: If you want you can wait until the stock arrives or if you want I can cancel the order for you and the amount will be refunded to you within 14 days.

Gayle: Should I do that ?

Kevin: Oh dear, it told me it was in stock yesterday. Any ETA?

Kevin: I will wait for stock to arrive please.

Kevin: What concerns me is funds were removed from my account

Gayle: I'm sorry for the delay, the system wasn't responding.

Kevin: no problem

Gayle: Kevin, I completely understand that you're eager to use the iPhone 4 on our Pay & Go network. *Are you for real, I just want the phone*:mad:

Gayle: However, there is no update as of for the iPhone 4 on Pay & Go.

Gayle: You can purchase one from the Apple store or from a carphone ware house. *Yessss I think I just cancelled that*

Gayle: You can get a Micro SIM for the iPhone 4 from our O2 store and you can start using it immediately. * I don't care about the sim!*

Kevin: OK, well I waited 2 weeks for apple, canceled as your online store said that it was 'in-stock'. So now I have been left waiting and waiting. I think I would like to cancel the order and I will look elsewhere. Thank you Gayle. *must stay calm*

Gayle: I totally understand but you can also try at our O2 store nearest to you. As of now I'll cancel the order for you and submit a refund request, this will be refunded within 14 days. *14 days...@#$#@ 14 days, you crooks not only did you take funds for an out of stock phone, you now expect me to wait 14 days!!!!*

Kevin: Thank you

Gayle: Kevin, I've successfully cancelled the order for you. *Wow really, you managed that?*

Gayle: Is there anything else I can help you with? *do you sell guns?*

Kevin: No thank you. *I think you've done enough damage*

Gayle: You're most Welcome.

Gayle: It was a pleasure chatting with you today. *I really wish I could say the same*

Gayle: Bye and you have a pleasant day.
    *It's raining, I am 500 pounds out of pocket, I have no phone... yes I think I'm loving today*

I have learnt a few things today.

1. Be patient
    2. Never order things on Friday 13th
    3. More importantly, never trust O2.

What grieves me is that they took funds for an out of stock phone, and yet displayed it as in stock? Then to ask me to wait 14 days for my money back, surely this is not legal? If anyone has any advice here I'd be happy to hear it.

Now no disrespect to Gayle, it's not her fault.

Right, my rant is over, I feel slightly better now after mashing the keys with suitable force. :apple: keys feel so good.

2. revjen macrumors newbie

I know this must suck...but your internal commentary made me chuckle, and I love that you were kind to gayle. Not everyone would have had that response for sure! I hope you can get your hands on a phone soon!!

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

THIS is the only lesson you should have learned. It's just a phone.

Because a specific combination of day name and number is significant. :rolleyes:

Because other companies never have fluctuating stock numbers on such a hot item. In the time it took you to process the order, others could have been in queue before and beaten you to the available units. And most companies have some delay in crediting funds.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Sorry to hear that. I've usually had a good experience with O2 Customer Service and their products, I may just be lucky (and not order on Fri 13th :p )

Take some solace from the fact your red addons to the conversation made me lol :p

5. ksimm thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true, but funds should not be removed if you have no stock, wouldn't you agree?

6. molala macrumors 6502a

Yes, and it should not take 14 days to refund the charge. I've returned a laptop to Apple once (by post) and the refund was immediate. This was obviously their mistake.

If you ordered with a credit card (and 14 days is after your billing cycle), you can dispute the charge and say you were told you'd get a refund and that it should not have been charged in the first place.

7. ksimm thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm I will look into that.

The O2 stock checker says that both 16GB and 32GB models are in stock. :rolleyes: and my order status says 'In Progress' despite telling me that they have cancelled the order. :confused:

8. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I would phone them and get that £500, there's no way it should take 14 days to refund, and they should not take money until they dispatch!

If you learnt not to trust O2, are you still going to buy a phone with them? i'd go to another network unless you have a compelling reason not to.

9. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Here is a link to the distance selling regulations as per the OFT:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

It seems to suggest that they have 30 days to issue a refund but that it should be sent "as soon as possible". Not great, I agree!

What I would do if I was you is phone up O2 (especially if you are an existing customer - are you?) and point out that you were misled by the stock checker into ordering something that was not in stock and now you are £500 out of pocket and can't even go buy elsewhere until the refund is processed (suggest that your credit limit is max'd or something). Also mention that you are incurring interest on the £500 and if they cannot refund you within 3-5 working days then you will be forced to complain officially and demand a refund of the incurred interest. Be polite but forceful and make it clear you mean business.

Regardless of how you get on with the above, I suggest you do what I have done and go with Tesco Mobile for your iPhone 4. It is still the O2 carrier so you get the same service and coverage but you get 1GB of data instead of 500MB and generally the tariffs for calls and texts are better. Tesco mobile so far have been easy to deal with and you even get clubcard points on your phone and monthly payments which you can use to get free stuff from 3rd parties later on. (eg. My wife and I are going away for a weekend next month at a 4 star hotel for two nights and it will only cost £60 instead of nearly £400 thanks to clubcard points...)

I got a 32GB iPhone last week for £299 + £35pm for 12 months (yes 12 mths). I get 750mins any network, unlimited texts, 1GB data, unlimited WiFi via The Cloud hotspots. Okay the overall cost is more than a Pay & Go phone but you get much better value on the texts and minutes and data.

I hope this helps,
    Craig.

Edit: Just read the post above. I agree that taking money before dispatch goes against "best practice" but I don't think it is unlawful. According to the distance selling regs they have 30 days to execute the contract or they have to contact the customer to ask what they want to do.

10. Rahstyles macrumors member

Rahstyles

I woulda been cussing at that mug by the 4th line

11. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi again,

Just one other thing. I just went through the process to purchase a Pay & Go phone on O2's website and the following T's and C's are shown:

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/shoppurchasingterms

If you look in the section regarding Payment it says the following:

So, if I understand correctly, as long as they make it clear when they are taking your money and as long as they notified you of the stock shortage delay and as long as they return your money within 30 days then they are complying with the law. I'm not saying this is acceptable but it does appear to be the law. Best bet is to be nice but firm as I suggested above and try to get them to expedite your refund. To my mind the only complaint you have which is valid is the misleading stock checker so try to get a "gesture of goodwill" from them to cover your inconvenience. If you have another O2 phone in the family then try for a call credit to that phone.

Good luck!
    Craig.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ This. And Friday the 13th is nothing more than a date on the calendar.

13. lionqueen macrumors 6502

oh lighten up, he's just venting, he's got a good sense of humour about it, and he was kind to the support person. what more do you want? yeah, im really sure he was SERIOUS about friday the thirteenth messing him up :rolleyes: do you ever laugh?

to the OP - sorry dude - I'd be stressing too. I hope you get your phone soon. It'll be worth the wait, honest :)

14. ksimm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the suggestions. I phoned my bank and they believe the 14 days will be more like 5 anyway so hopefully not long to wait.

I'm well aware of Friday the 13th being just a date, as is 2012. ;)

15. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Your bank are probably right, the 14 days will just be stated as a worst case scenario.

As for the "it's just a date" thing, I just ignored the posters with the rolling eyes and I suggest you do the same... :rolleyes: They are a bit like the grammar police who sometimes come to visit, just not worth bothering about!

:)

16. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Normaly it won't take 14 days to receive your money back that is just the longest period it could take. Btw they have that money sitting in the business account collecting interest.

17. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Speaking of Friday the 13th, the fuel pump at the gas station didn't click off as I was filling up my car with petrol. Needless to say, I gave the earth a free half-gallon of fuel.

OP- I've been in similar situations. Just gotta wait it out! At least you weren't charged twice for the same product!

18. ksimm thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh no, the saga continues.

Today at 13:54 I receive an email from O2.

Dear Mr XXXXXXXXXXX,

Re: Order Number on-XXXXXXXX

This email contains important information about your order.

** New Orders **

Your order is being processed and will be despatched shortly.

We'll email or send you an SMS to confirm when your order has been despatched so that you'll know when to expect your delivery.
    You will need to sign for the delivery, but don't worry if you're not in, the courier will leave you details to rearrange delivery.

So now I am really confused! :confused: I was told the order was cancelled, this email has the same order number but a new reference. I sure hope they haven't just billed me again for another phone, that would just be the icing on the cake.

19. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

How about you try 1) An O2 forum, or 2) O2 Customer Services

I understand it's frustrating but there is nothing anyone here can do.

20. ksimm thread starter macrumors newbie

They've all gone home.

Not even a hug? :p

21. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Aw. This whole thing sucks. I'll give you a hug. ;)

22. ksimm thread starter macrumors newbie

The O2 Saga Ends

Well today I received a tracking number for my cancelled order. :p *Hysterical laugh*
    Bless them... so I phoned O2 for a clue, and it turns out they have sent it today, and I should have it tomorrow! :D

They also reimbursed me the Saturday delivery charge. :)

So that's the end of that hopefuly. :apple:

23. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I'm glad to see that you were courteous and respectful to Gayle. Too many people nowadays would have thrown a hissy fit and talked in an extremely rude manner to her about something that was not her fault to begin with, all because they couldn't have their precious iPhone RIGHT NOW!

24. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

But, they didn't notify him - not in my understanding of the usage. He called them after not getting a timely shipping notification, and then found out. To me, notify would mean they initiated contact.