Friend gave me iPhone 4, just want to use as an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Al2x, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Al2x macrumors newbie

My friend just recently gave me his old iPhone 4 to play with and I don't want to activate it, but rather just use it as a Wi-Fi connectable iOS device that'll use apps, games and play music through the iPod function.

The problem is that I'm not able to "initialize" the iPhone by plugging it into iTunes, I have 3 different Windows 7 PC's in my house right now and none of them are recognizing the iPhone in iTunes. On the contrary, I have an iPod touch 4G and each one accesses it with ease.

I've tried DFU mode and iTunes still fails to recognize this iPhone. Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to jailbreak it as soon as I get initialized.

Thank you!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Make sure you have the latest itunes version installed on the computer. And try a few different USB wires and ports to see if that makes any difference.
    But again in order to activate it you will need a sim. If its locked to a specific carrier you will need a microsim from that company.
    Or you can JB and hactivate it but if you're on the latest 4.3.5 you will be stuck with a tethered JB.

3. Al2x thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have the original microsim, I as well have 3 PC's and 2 different 30-pin wires and none of the PC's and any combination of wire/usb port will detect this guy. I don't know what is up with it.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Sounds like something in the phone has been shorted, disconnected or malfunctioned.

If you feel bold enough you could take the phone apart and put it back together (see ifixit.com). I've heard of that working for someone with the same issue.