Friend got an HP Touchpad for $99 and is making me feel bad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ijustfarted, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

for paying $500 for the ipad 2...

told him to eff off but he's reveling in the fact he got somewhat of the same thing for 1/5th the price. :(

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Well, the Touchpad will no longer be supported. The iPad 2, however, is a different story. :D

I still want a Touchpad though! As soon as Best Buy's remaining stock arrives, I'll be ordering straight from HP. :cool:

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Jesus Christ, it's just a friend breaking your balls.

If that upsets you so much, you don't need help on this forum, you need it elsewhere.

4. Skika, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

Skika macrumors 68030

Don't worry he is probably jealous you have the real deal while he has a wannabe device that isnt cool.

He knows this and tries to make himself feel better.

5. bufffilm, Aug 20, 2011

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

congrats to your friend, but i don't see why you'd feel bad.

among its many other uses, i can use my ipad to vpn to work and rdp to my servers (i'm in infrastructure support). i wouldn't be able to do that on an touchpad.

and i'm assured of future support from the manfacturer. that touchpad might start showing its inadequacies in 12-18 months. doesn't hurt either that the ipad is a little more ergonomical & comfortable to use and has a little more battery life too.

it's pointless to compare the touchpad and ipad on price alone. cheaper doesn't always mean better.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I feel bad for my previous comment.

Just wait 6 months, and the touchpad will not compare to your ipad

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

$99/$149 (some got additional 15% discount from HP) is a steal.

For basic web surfing email, HP Touchpad is a no brainer at those firesale prices.

The screen on the TouchPad is also IPS and same resolution. As long as you don't need "apps" you will be fine with the TouchPad.

Remember touchpad supports adobe flash.

I picked up one for my kid. I also have an iPad.

8. Skream macrumors member

Im prob gonna pick one up when they restock. All i'd use an iPad for is surfing the web and reading pdf's this more than fits my needs.

9. MRU, Aug 20, 2011

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your friend has a device which is twice as thick, half as powerful despite CPU being supposedly faster, and of course zero support going forward with little chance of new apps and software from developers.

Your iPad 2 may have cost $500 but it's still worth $400 if you sold it.
    Ask yourself how would your friend feel if he had paid the $500 original price of the HP and now it's worth less than $100.

This thread is really quite silly. If your really that devastated and feeling bad, sell your iPad and go and buy a HP Touchpad, simples.

Edit. Oh and this is coming from a Pre2 owner so I'm not adverse to WebOS

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Grow a thicker skin.

Tell him each time Apple updates your OS.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

The software on the Touchpad is already mature. Sure won't get but maybe one very minor update if that at all. But it's a very function tablet for that kind of firesale price.

It's like getting an iPad v1 at iOS version 3.2 as opposed to opposed to version 4.3.

If u don't need specific app and only want to use basic web and email. The touchpad at $99 is price most should not pass up.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I'm playing flash on my Touchpad and playing awesome 3D game on an iPad 2 :p FEEL BAD lol

but don't feel too bad the iPad is better in almost everything.

13. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Pretty much why I held off my purchase too. If you need a tablet and don't have an iPad, it's a great deal or if you just need to something to play with on the side. However I realized I already had too much tech crap that I bought just for the deal's sake and never used them much because I had superior products.

On the other hand, if you need a gift to your parents or young children, I think it'd be a great deal. Also yes, there's that selling for profit thing.

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You have the better product. The reason he got it for $99 is that HP found it very, very difficult to sell the Touchpad for something close to $500 and gave up, and now some sellers are stuck with inventory that they cannot sell without making a huge loss. And a huge loss they are making.

Of course for $99 it is a bargain. You'd probably pay more for a nice looking photo frame of that size. (I found a Motorola MF1001 10" photo frame for £119.99). So let him be happy with his purchase.

15. jon1987 macrumors regular

Why is it like getting an iPad 1 with 3.2? You would just update it 4.3 and then iOS 5 when it comes out.

16. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

The webOS sites and developers are already saying no more updates will be forthcoming for the OS. There will still be a few diehard developers, but without support, it's not going to attract any new ones, or keep most of the existing ones.

There are some that will still watch, for awhile, to see if it gets licensed out and becomes worth developing for, but that means any new apps and games are going to be a long time coming and won't work on the old versions of the OS.

17. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I wonder whether anyone will work on putting Android on it?

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

Beta version is getting release soon.

19. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

The Touchpad does seem like a good deal at $99 but you are still getting stuck with a buggy OS thats not getting anymore updates, non existent developer support and won't get many more apps, probably very little warranty support, much worse battery life, heavier, made of cheap plastic. The HP touchpad is a good buy if you like what it has right now because its not likely to improve. Even with that said I would still pick one up for $99 if I could just as a toy but I definitely wouldn't ditch my iPad 2 for one.

20. boonlar macrumors 6502

for browsing the web the touchpad is better since it has flash

for apps the ipad is better

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I imagine HP will continue to update the Touchpad at least for the next year or so, and of course each one sold comes with a 1-year warranty.

Google still supports and releases updates for the Nexus One.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's because Google hasn't given up on Android. HP has washed its hands of webOS, no more updates are coming.

23. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I feel bad not having got one either, honestly at that $99 price point its an awesome device, infact I'd be willing to pay up to $300 for a brand new HP Touchpad IF I didn't have an iPad..

If I had the choice now to invest $300 on a Touchpad over $500 on an iPad, I'd personally go for the Touchpad, not everyone cares for applications & games, most of us want to be able to do general tasks..

The $200 price difference for me is huge, And It's not like WebOS wasn't a good operating system, it had its issues, it may be slow at loading times, but the experience was relatively good..

And I find it insane that HP didn't think about coming to the market with a much lower price, it'd would've sold like hotcakes :p. A lot of people settle for laptops or high end netbooks, and netbooks perform horribly, the Intel Atom can hardly run Windows 7 Starter without hiccups.. An HP Touchpad priced at $299 would've done amazingly imo..

The biggest mistake HP made was coming out with a Tablet priced at $499, especially when you consider they have no app ecosystem, and not to mention the device was much thicker and heavier, didn't match the performance of the competition.. That is why it failed..

Anyway It's really too bad, I really liked WebOS, imo much better then anything Android had to offer.. And the UI was really nice..

24. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I bought a Dreamcast for $35. Like the TouchPad, it is now dead technology. Still doesn't make me feel bad for owning a iPad.

25. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

And HP would be losing money on every sale. One reason Apple is successful is that they plan way ahead and get suppliers lined up,and guarantee buying large volumes.

Sure, at $99 it's a great deal, but does it have StarWalk?