Friend just passed, lots of questions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IBradMac, Sep 24, 2010.

1. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

My friend, whom which I graduated high school with and was college roommates with passed away today.

He was a firefighter killed in the line of duty. He was a great person, all around. Didn't "sin" as some might say.

I thought to myself;

If god has a plan, then I don't want any part of it. Taking an good average person and sparing drug addicts, serial killers, rapist and "sinners"?

If any of you would have seen my uncle last August you would be sure there is no God. Cancer took him, and he weighed about 240 lbs. and when he died he weighed 120 lbs. It was scary.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Well if there is a God and (s)he had a plan, it sucks in my eyes.
    My mom died at 36 from breast cancer, it was extremely bad watching her worsen day by day.
    What's worse is my wife and son picked out an apartment in Boston. Sight unseen, I went to move him in, I walked up to the building and puked. It was the building where my mom had her chemo 20+ years ago.

Really, while this f'in witch of a step mother who took every last dime from my dad and then pushed him out of the van and drove off and left is still alive.
    Sorry, but if there is a God, (s)he really needs to be audited and a better plan implimented. end of rant

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There is no plan.

There is just life.

**** happens. It will eventually happen to me... and to you.

Try to enjoy the ride... and learn a little along the way.

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

OP I recommend you talk to a counselor at some point. If you want to bash God I recommend you talk to a minister. A minister will help you a lot more understanding things.
    Right now I see some one who is so grief stricken and wants to lash out at something.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A counsellor is a good suggestion. They also have bereavement groups you can attend.

As for the Minister part, what can he do, spin? He cannot change what has happened.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

For most part I have learned ministers are very good listeners and counselors. At the very least they have more knowledge and understanding of God and the bible than chances are anyone who you will find here.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The "why do bad things happen to good people" scenario is a discussion that has been debated throughout the ages by people of all different faiths and beliefs. For Christians it is addressed most prominently in the book of Job in the Bible. Other faiths have their own ways of making peace with the paradox.

Some choose to find comfort and strength in their faith during times like this. Others distance themselves from anything spiritual at all. Each person has to find his own way in the face of adversity.

Most, if not all of us have faced the loss of someone we loved and questioned "why". OP, you may never find specific answers to the questions you have, but I hope you are able to find peace in the loss of the one you loved.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Sorry to hear about your friend. A friend of mine from my school years died several months ago, only 27 or 28. Drowned on the eve of his wedding, fiance is pregnant too.

Shocking timing.

10. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

What emergency killed him, I hope his death was for the benefit of someone in need of true help. I truly cannot imagine what it feels like for you right now

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ministers listen well, yes, but are lay-councillors, at best. Rabbis are better. ;)

If you equate making piece with God as the primary objective. I don't.

He needs professional assistance, in a group of his peers.

And the Groom dying on the his wedding eve?? Wow. Was it some drunken hijinks?

12. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

IBradMac I'm sorry for your loss. What follows is merely my opinion.

"God has a plan" is the rationalization that people come up with in order to soothe the cognitive dissonance that arises from holding two conflicting views: that there is a benevolent god, and that this god just allowed something so awful that he (she/it) can no longer be considered "good" in any meaningful way.

This to me is somewhat similar to the smoker's "I can quit anytime I want, I just don't want to". This, of course, is nonsense to anyone other than the person saying it. Often you will find that people will go to great lengths to explain away something bad, rather than admit the cold, hard reality behind it.

Notice that only god is allowed this special status. When was the last time that we heard something like this about a murderer: "Oh I'm sure he meant well, he probably just has a plan that we can't understand right now". This is useless since it can be used to justify any evil act by any sort of being, thus rendering the concept of evil completely meaningless.

What makes me angry and political about people saying that, is that they will rather explain away a horrible tragedy as being something good, than admit that their views are incorrect. For me this is a great disservice to the person that had to endure a tragedy, making it seem like something good because otherwise they'd have to admit that they are not following an omnipotent, omni-benevolent being.

Fortunately, this most likely points to a non-existent god, rather than an evil one.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I would certainly hope so, otherwise God and the Devil are one and the same. :eek:

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Yeah--I tend to agree with you here. I lost a close friend a little over a year ago. He had some medical issues but it got me thinking and--well--exactly as you said--stuff happens--enjoy your life!

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes.

And if life affords you the opportunity, in due time, try and make the lives of others more enjoyable.

16. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

There is no greater plan. Life just is plain unfair and good people die before they should.

As Mercury said, "Only the good die young".

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

HEY!!!! I resemble that! :mad:

18. IBradMac thread starter macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Thanks. Funny, I have said exactly the same exact thing before.

I hear religious folks say, it's all part of 'god's plan'. What exactly is his plan? Their views are that things like this happen because of the devil. This, in my eyes seems very fairytail ish in my eyes and also unscientific...obviously. :rolleyes:

An air tank exploded. Full story.

That is awful. Wow. :(

You obviously don't know me well enough to recommend a counselor. Thanks anyways.