Friend purchasing iPhone 5s for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GallagherJ, Sep 18, 2013.

1. GallagherJ macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if it was possible for a friend to purchase a new iPhone 5s for me. He was planning on standing in line the night before launch. I currently have an iPhone 5 that is not eligible for upgrade on at&t. Would he be able to pick the phone up for the un-subsidized price, or would I have to be there? Could he just purchase an unlocked version and then I could toss my sim card into that?

Hopefully you guys know more than me!

Thanks in advance,
    Jack

2. swish2351 macrumors 6502

As long as no contract is involved, yes he can

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Anyone can buy an unlocked iPhone at full price, not sure why you're asking this.

4. GallagherJ thread starter macrumors newbie

I apologize if I am asking a dumb question, but I've had conflicting answers at the apple store and through apple chat.

5. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Don't worry about it, the apple chat people are very un-intelligent and usually have no idea what they're talking about

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

There could be problems only if your friends wants to buy more than 2 phones, as Apple would probably not allow that, no matter if subsidized or not.

7. fark macrumors regular

They might be ignorant about certain policies concerning unlocked phones but you have no idea about their intelligence.

8. GallagherJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think that apple will have the un-subsudized, unlocked-no contract models available on launch day?

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Of course, Apple will make them available. In tight quantities, but they'll be there.

10. mrmhb380 macrumors newbie

If I'm on a family plan and know all the account info can I add a line to the account without the main holder at the store with store?

11. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

You have to be listed as an administrator on the account. If AT&T, you can do this online.

12. mrmhb380 macrumors newbie

Yes it is AT&T thanks