Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
It's amazing, but evidently there are companies willing to shell out that kind of money for an ad. And you know that practically everyone will see the finale of Friends. So the question is: How much is universal exposure worth to them? Apparently $2,000,000.:eek:

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by jrv3034
It's amazing, but evidently there are companies willing to shell out that kind of money for an ad. And you know that practically everyone will see the finale of Friends. So the question is: How much is universal exposure worth to them? Apparently $2,000,000.:eek:
Practically everyone? Ummm... no. "Practically everyone" would be a finale like M*A*S*H where nearly 75% of the TV's that were on, were tuned into it. Friends will be lucky to get HALF that percentage. Personally, I doubt that it will.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I don't quit see all the fan faire for "Friends." My preference is "CSI," "ER," & "Law & Order."

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
The thing is, advertisers who would spend that kind of money (coke/pepsi, beer co's, etc...) already have almost total market saturation with their ads, so adding one more during this show won't do much good in the long run. And for those that do buy into it, they deserve to lose their $2 million.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I thought friends had ended already (I stop watching it after Monica and Chandler got married).

I suppose its like a lot of other shows in the US that seem to go on for too long. I kept on hearing that Buffy and the X-files were going to end, but they managed to keep on getting one more season out. I think The Simpsons should have been cancelled a long time ago, I prefer to watch the old episodes than the new ones even though I have seen the old ones so many times.

I am glad there is a limit to the amount of adverts you can have on TV in Europe. When I was recently over in the US, the amount of adverts just drove my mad. They seemed to last so long sometimes that I would forget what the program was about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.