Friend's 6S was in boot loop - I helped with DFU+restore. Now Activaition locked to unknown AppleID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fs454, Oct 30, 2016.

1. fs454 macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

So the other day a friend of mine had her 6S freeze up and drop into a never-ending Apple logo boot loop. She was alright with having a fresh restore to solve the problem and avoid the 3-4 day genius bar wait for an appointment here in LA - so I went ahead and put it in DFU mode, and got iOS 10 reinstalled via my laptop. She went to put her SIM card back in from a backup phone, and the 6S is now claiming that it's activation locked to "s*****@gmail.com", an email address neither of us recognize, though it's only giving us the first letter. Is this something that's even possible? An unknown Apple ID that the phone is all of a sudden locked to?

What is the best course of action here, for her and for myself having become involved in this situation? The email in question does not exist on any of my devices let alone hers, and will Apple take a defensive stance here because this is an anti-theft feature?

Thanks.

2. HaydenWI macrumors member

This has happened to many others as well, and it's quite concerning, really. It sounds like it's some sort of database issue with Apple.

Hopefully she's the original owner, in which case she/you can contact Apple with proof of purchase, explain what happened, and have it removed.