Friends Macbook Pro + Friends Beer = Omg Omg Omg Omg Omg Omg Omg Omg

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OmenKing, Dec 26, 2008.

1. OmenKing macrumors newbie

I wanted to check my facebook while I was drunk and I bumped my friend's beer onto his laptop and it spilled an eighth of the bottle near the hinge.

After 10 seconds of panicking we remembered that panicking wouldn't stop the beer so we turned it off and flipped the macbook pro over, and frantically called anyone with a precision screw driver at 3 AM and our friend was not impressed.

So the next day we disassembled the top case and we found and cleaned slight traces of beer near the left top side of the logic board. We don't want to remove logic board for fear of not being able to reassemble or damage the connectors.

We also shoehorned a 12.5 mm hard-drive into the Macbook Pro while performing this delicate operation because we had to go in there anyway.

During this time we ask for your prayers to Steve Jobs for the revival of our beloved mac product.

Attached Files:

2. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

This is a cringe inducing, yet very amusing post.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Ouch! Let's hope it'll up and running again :).

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Then the friend can live with a computer that smells like the men's urinal at the local bar.

6. the2j macrumors member

the2j

with friends like you who needs enemies ... :D

Sorry to here about your misfortune

7. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

So guys, this was my MacBook Pro in this predicament. Not sure if it will work, we cleaned the top of the logic board, it seems to charge the Omenking's battery, but not mine, and it won't turn on. It might just be the keyboard. Anyone know of a way to turn them on without the power button?

Sure I do.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5625973#post5625973

8. hermetica macrumors newbie

once while being drunk i spilled an entire beer on my own ibook G4 ; i turned it off and slipped it downwards for the night like you did ; the next day it was still working :D and still works today - the only inconvenience is that the keys were sticky and it stinked like rotten beer for months. i definitely wouldn't try this again on my macbook pro today… things don't seem to be as robust as they did in the past…

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ah man that is nasty~

Anyways, there is a solution that you can dip the whole mbp's logic board in and let it dry overnight and it should clean any residue left over.

I think its some kind of alcohol.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

oh well at least he's got an excuse to upgrade to the new unibody model now, oh wait i forgot its another 363 days until Christmas again! :rolleyes:

11. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

If by "he's got an excuse to upgrade..." you really mean that OmenKing will be getting me another, then yes, indeed.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Go to Home Depot and buy a few tins of acetone. Then take everything apart and soak all the pieces overnight.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Oh yea its acetone.. isnt it the one with a certain amount of % of alcohol or something?

14. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Ok, little bit of info here, I work a place that sells cell phones, I fix them then they come into the shop. Typically ones that have had beer or anything sticky like that tend to not work. I would have taken the logic board out, but I am too frustrated at the moment and didn't want to break anything. OmenKing's mom owns a computer repair shop, we'll get the tech to take it completely apart tomorrow. I want avoid dipping it in anything, since that has ever worked for me in the past. I think we will just stick to contact cleaner and a toothbrush.