Frist calls Alito Democrats' "nightmare"

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
link

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist told Republican Party activists on Friday night that U.S. Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito was the "worst nightmare of liberal Democrats."

Frist, a Tennessee Republican, made the remark to fellow Republicans during a private tour he gave them of the Senate chamber when the Senate was not in session.

Frist was not available for comment following his remarks.

Asked about the senator's remark, Frist spokesman Bob Stevenson said that Alito "is a thoughtful mainstream conservative jurist who is well respected by his peers, by Democrats and Republicans alike."

Stevenson added, "There are liberals, many of them represented by the outside groups, who will do anything to kill any nominee put forward by this administration."

Democrats have expressed concerns the conservative Alito would push the nation's highest court to the right in areas such as abortion rights, civil rights and presidential powers.

The Senate Judiciary Committee is expected to vote on Tuesday on the Alito nomination and the full Senate intends to debate it next week.

Three top Democrats announced this week they would vote against sending Alito to a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court. They are Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the senior Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts and Dick Durbin of Illinois.

No Democrat so far has said he or she would try to block a Senate floor vote on Alito through a procedure known as a filibuster.

The Republican National Committee was holding a winter meeting in Washington this week, and the 50 or so party activists from across the United States were invited by Frist to tour the Senate chamber.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
yes, because the more like football politics is, the better, right?

there was a time when the people in washington were leaders. and i'm not just talking about the GOP.

we get the gov't we deserve. thanks for acting as lowest common denominator, sb.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
CO
whatever, I've seen your version of "politics" so from now on out I may as well just cheer on what I agree with. Won't it be something when the republicans control the legislative, the executive and the judicial branch of government? Aren't you excited!? I am!

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
be careful what you wish for. your views may change when you finish high school.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
CO
Psst....dude, I'm in college already. I'll be graduating next year. Imagine that, a conservative on a college campus! That would make for one zany movie eh govna? eh?

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
silverback66 said:
whatever, I've seen your version of "politics" so from now on out I may as well just cheer on what I agree with. Won't it be something when the republicans control the legislative, the executive and the judicial branch of government? Aren't you excited!? I am!
I am. It will drive the US into the dirt, from where it can't bother anyone else.

Sounds good to me.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
silverback66 said:
If by dirt you mean conservative utopia...I agree! Put er' there partner! ;)
A life that is nasty brutish and short... some utopia.

Didn't you claim to attend a college in another thread?

DeVry?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
silverback66 said:
Won't it be something when the republicans control the legislative, the executive and the judicial branch of government?
What do you mean when? I don't know where you've been, but we're pretty much already there. And it isn't so great. Just ask about 61% of the country. ;)

zimv20 said:
my mistake. i thought you were younger.
Easy mistake to make, I would have guessed young as well had he not mentioned it in another thread.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
silverback66 said:
Psst....dude, I'm in college already. I'll be graduating next year. Imagine that, a conservative on a college campus! That would make for one zany movie eh govna? eh?
No, it's going to make for a really rude awakening when a hardcore ideologue has to deal with the diversity of the real world. Look out below!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Well Mr. Frist and a good portion of the (R's) should enjoy the next couple of years, because they are going to lose the White House and Congress come election time.

A lot of people in this country, including conservatives, have had it with this BS.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
CO
pseudobrit said:
No, it's going to make for a really rude awakening when a hardcore ideologue has to deal with the diversity of the real world. Look out below!

Yeah, gee, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep watching put for tht rude awakening. Man yu guys are pretty desperate. These must be like nightmarsh times for your. The country is virtually completely rejectig your whole idealogy is favor of morality and all you can do is spout some catch phrases and bitch and moan. You poor liberals you. You could always flock to San Franscico or Canada and have your liberal utopia of course by it's very nature it would ultimatley destroy itself. Poor poor liberals. Boo hoo...

silverback66

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
CO
iGary said:
Wel Mr. Frist and a good portion of the (R's) should enjoy the next couple of years, because they are going to lose the White House and Congress come election time.

A lot of people in this country, including conservatives, have had it with this BS.
Of course your top candidate is moving farther and further to the left and out of touch with America and word is spreading that Condi Rice is going to run. Dang man.....shutdown....

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
silverback66 said:
Yeah, gee, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep watching put for tht rude awakening. Man yu guys are pretty desperate. These must be like nightmarsh times for your. The country is virtually completely rejectig your whole idealogy is favor of morality and all you can do is spout some catch phrases and bitch and moan. You poor liberals you. You could always flock to San Franscico or Canada and have your liberal utopia of course by it's very nature it would ultimatley destroy itself. Poor poor liberals. Boo hoo...
You so came here just to troll. Do us a favour and go the **** away, troll.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
silverback66 said:
Of course your top candidate is moving farther and further to the left and out of touch with America and word is spreading that Condi Rice is going to run. Dang man.....shutdown....
Who's my top candidate and where did I say who it was? :confused:

Oh, you were putting words in my mouth. Gotcha.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
CO
pseudobrit said:
You so came here just to troll. Do us a favour and go the **** away, troll.
oh but remember....free speech, free speech. LikeI've sadi, you don't like it, block me. Otherwise quit whining.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
This country does much better when ran from the center rather then the loony fringes on the right or left. Alito's appointment makes sure that the loony right takes control of all 3 branches. This isnt good for our country just as having a bunch of crooks like the republicans running things arent good for our country. We need a balance of power and Alito's nomination ensures the coming of the all powerful Police State intruding into our freedoms and libertys which by the way have taken a nose dive under the current administration. Alito has shown many times that the state is God and piss on the little guy.

Alito isnt just a nightmare for the liberal, but a nightmare for anyone who loves liberty & freedom.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Dont Hurt Me said:
This country does much better when ran from the center rather then the loony fringes on the right or left.
That's pretty much true with anything. No epiphone here.

Dont Hurt Me said:
Alito's appointment makes sure that the loony right takes control of all 3 branches.
Not really, he's really a right of center moderate in sheep's clothing.

Dont Hurt Me said:
This isnt good for our country just as having a bunch of crooks like the republicans running things arent good for our country.
Pretty broad stroke of the brush there.

Dont Hurt Me said:
We need a balance of power and Alito's nomination ensures the coming of the all powerful Police State intruding into our freedoms and libertys which by the way have taken a nose dive under the current administration.
One man doesn't ensure this.

Dont Hurt Me said:
Alito has shown many times that the state is God and piss on the little guy.
Link, please.

Dont Hurt Me said:
Alito isnt just a nightmare for the liberal, but a nightmare for anyone who loves liberty & freedom.
He's not as bad as you make him out to be, but safe enough to make the cut.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
CO
iGary said:
That's pretty much true with anything. No epiphone here.

Not really, he's really a right of center moderate in sheep's clothing.

Pretty broad stroke of the brush there.

One man doesn't ensure this.

Link, please.

He's not as bad as you make him out to be, but safe enough to make the cut.
My gosh....someone whose sensible and fairminded! What a breath of fresh air!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
silverback66 said:
My gosh....someone whose sensible and fairminded! What a breath of fresh air!
Aren't we smug.

This country is hardly voting for morality. In fact, your leadership couldn't give two s@#&s about it, they merely latched onto it as a way to maintain power. They have done more to divide this country along age, class, religion, race, sexuality and red/blue state bs. The "moral" crowd votes, so many others are just so apathetic or feel they don't make a difference. Bigger turnout in 2004 was a start.

As for your party's morality, did you believe....

the ever flip flopping reasons to invade Iraq (pick one)?
them and their reasons for Sciavo?
the Social Security boondoggle?
I could go on.

What ever happened to the Republican party I voted for? You remember 1994, the Contract with America? the end of the cycle of scandal? restore accountability to Congress?

What do we have now? Tom Delay, Jack Abramoff, Bill Frist - how I wish these guys were only getting hummers in their offices.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
iGary said:
Rob and I were talking about that subject this very morning.
I think term limits are the answer. Seems the only way to break the culture of corruption in Washington (both parties).

Possibly making terms in the house longer so they're not running for re-election every other year and so eager to scarf money from special interests.

Real campaign finance reform.

Nuke the next SOTU speech and start from scratch.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
rdowns said:
What ever happened to the Republican party I voted for?
It was hijacked by the neocons.

I think term limits are the answer. Seems the only way to break the culture of corruption in Washington (both parties).
How long do you think the term limits should be for the HoR and the Senate?

And do you think there should be term limits in the judiciary?

BTW, I hope this thread doesn't get shut down too.