From 2.16GHz to 2.33Ghz, worth $225?


Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
1,144
116
Arkansas
Sorry I think I should have been more clear about my question. I am considering buying a 24" iMac, with Edu discount. They offer an upgrade from 2.16 to 2.33 GHz for $225. Will it really make that much difference?
 

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
917
0
I personally do not think it is worth it. The cost per MHz increase is not very good at all.

I went for 2.16GHz on mine.
 

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
12,587
6
The Kop
I am looking at getting the same machine and i am going to be putting the money into 2gb ram, the better graphics card, wireless keyboard and mouse and applecare.
 

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
1,144
116
Arkansas
Thanks for the comments. I will go with the 2.16, upgrade the ram to 2GB and the video card to the nicer 256mb. I won't be buying for about 4-5 months, allowing me time to save some $ and for Leopard to be released. So who knows what speeds and options will be available then, but it's nice to know the general consensus now.
When I buy, should I order from the apple online store or go to the bricks and mortar store that is about an hour away? Can I order a custom machine via the store and go pick it up?
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,552
1,468
I know the consensus is that it's not worth it.
But my choices are.

#1
24" iMac 2.33
2GB RAM 500GB HDD
7600GT 256MB VRAM
BT Keyboard & MM
Applecare

$2,713 shipped incl. tax.

#2
24" iMac 2.16
2GB RAM 500GB HDD
7600 GT 256MB VRAM
BT Keyboard & MM
Applecare

$2,484 shipped incl. tax. $229 difference incl. tax

#3
20" iMac 2.16
2GB RAM 250GB HDD
x1600 128MB VRAM
BT Keyboard & MM
NO Applecare

$1,312 shipped incl. tax - sell Spring 2007 after Leopard is released, see if all new Macs have new wireless to complement iTV, see if an xMac or whatever comes out, if not consider a Mac Pro vs. 24" iMac then.

My friend is calling me this week to take my order.
 

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
1,144
116
Arkansas
Spring 2007 after Leopard is released, see if all new Macs have new wireless to complement iTV, see if an xMac or whatever comes out
Everyone keeps mentioning "spring 2007" when talking about new releases. Is there a large conference or something, at which new releases might be revealed? I'm definitely waiting on Leopard, and it would be nice to have some sort of video input on the 24" so you could use it as a TV...
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,552
1,468
Razorhog said:
Everyone keeps mentioning "spring 2007" when talking about new releases. Is there a large conference or something, at which new releases might be revealed? I'm definitely waiting on Leopard, and it would be nice to have some sort of video input on the 24" so you could use it as a TV...
MWSF MacWorld San Francisco is in January every year. That is when the Intel iMacs and MacBook Pros were announced this year. It is typically more consumer line oriented as WWDC WorldWide Developers Conference which is in the summer is more pro oriented. This year the Mac Pro was introduced. Steve said at WWDC in August that Leopard would ship by March 2007 and we Intel's new platform the Santa Rosa chipset is due in March as well. Steve also said that iTV will be out in Q1 2007 which means by the end of March. I don't know if like WWDC which is usually in June or July but was pushed back to August, if MWSF will get pushed back as well this year so that announcements can include immediate or emminent shipping. But it all translates to a lot of questions as to what will be coming out. My big question is whether we will see a Conroe or Merom based mid-tower, whether iTV is 802.11n and if all the new Macs will make that transition or if the current Macs have a dormant 802.11a that will push more bandwidth than 802.11g for the purpose of streaming video and photo slideshows and trailers. Also of question is whether the Cinema Displays will get built-in iSights and remotes as Leopard is said to include Front Row which is currently not available on the Mac Pro.
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,552
1,468
Razorhog said:
Everyone keeps mentioning "spring 2007" when talking about new releases. Is there a large conference or something, at which new releases might be revealed? I'm definitely waiting on Leopard, and it would be nice to have some sort of video input on the 24" so you could use it as a TV...
MWSF MacWorld San Francisco is in January every year. That is when the Intel iMacs and MacBook Pros were announced this year. It is typically more consumer line oriented as WWDC WorldWide Developers Conference which is in the summer is more pro oriented. This year the Mac Pro was introduced. Steve said at WWDC in August that Leopard would ship by March 2007 and we Intel's new platform the Santa Rosa chipset is due in March as well. Steve also said that iTV will be out in Q1 2007 which means by the end of March. I don't know if like WWDC which is usually in June or July but was pushed back to August, if MWSF will get pushed back as well this year so that announcements can include immediate or emminent shipping. But it all translates to a lot of questions as to what will be coming out. My big question is whether we will see a Conroe or Merom based mid-tower, whether iTV is 802.11n and if all the new Macs will make that transition or if the current Macs have a dormant 802.11a that will push more bandwidth than 802.11g for the purpose of streaming video and photo slideshows and trailers. Also of question is whether the Cinema Displays will get built-in iSights and remotes as Leopard is said to include Front Row which is currently not available on the Mac Pro. And lastly, I doubt that there will be any sort of video input on a Mac at least for another year or two if not longer. I would expect Apple to release 42" HDTVs before that happens, and that is not likely either.
 

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
1,144
116
Arkansas
Wow so I'm probably looking at late March or early April before I can by an iMac with Leopard...I was hoping for January :) Patience, must have patience!
 

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
11,744
4,016
Republic of Ukistan
As a matter of interest, how many here who argue that $225 is too much to pay for a measly 170MHz increase in processor speed would say the same in a discussion about MacBooks?
 

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
393
0
I got the 24" with the 2.16 and upgraded the graphics card. It is amazing let me tell you. My next upgrade will be RAM, I would have done it with the purchase but I didn't want to spend to much. Nonetheless, get the RAM upgrade instead of the faster CPU, you'll notice a far higher increase in speed/smoothness with the RAM then u will with the CPU. I got the GFX card because for 80 more bux (student CND) it was definatly worth it especially cuz I want to try out some PC games with bootcamp.
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,552
1,468
risc said:
Quick question: Why do people post threads like this, and then a while later say I wont buy for a few months? :rolleyes:
I personally am buying this week. I just can't decide which option, because if I get the 24" iMac I will get it loaded and won't want to sell in the spring, but if I get the 20" it will be to sell it in the spring and have until then as a holdover. I have no problem buying Leopard separately, I'm not holding out for that so much as wondering about a wireless revamp and a possible midtower.

But I have seen several threads of people asking what to get, and then saying their buying timeframe is post January. Dude, no one can tell you what to get pre-MWSF, that's a whole new ballgame.
 

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
1,144
116
Arkansas
Just because I'm buying post-January doesn't mean I don't want to hear opinions on the difference in price on processor speeds...I'm sure an option like that will still be available (if not the same) by the time I buy. I just like to research a lot before I spend this much cash on something. :)
 

yoak

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2004
1,484
42
Oslo, Norway
Razorhog said:
Just because I'm buying post-January doesn't mean I don't want to hear opinions on the difference in price on processor speeds...I'm sure an option like that will still be available (if not the same) by the time I buy. I just like to research a lot before I spend this much cash on something. :)
I totaly understand, the waiting, the anticipation, debating with yourself what to get and when to get it.
I love it, but it ended today as I ordered the 2 feet iMac (as someone cleverly put it elswhere on this forum) today;
2,16 and spent the money on 2gig of RAM and better graphics card
 

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
19,269
30
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
skunk said:
As a matter of interest, how many here who argue that $225 is too much to pay for a measly 170MHz increase in processor speed would say the same in a discussion about MacBooks?
Well, besides the fact that you can't separate the 1.83 GHz Macbook from the 2.0 GHz Macbook on the basis of processor speed alone- the 2.0 GHz model also ships with a superdrive. To me, that along with the speed bump is worth the upgrade. In the iMac it's not.