From 4.0.1 to 4.1 - Need JB and Unlock on Windows

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by canucksfan, Nov 22, 2010.

1. canucksfan macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I've tried sifting through the overwhelming amount of threads on this and couldn't find one that met my needs to my understanding.

I currently have an iPhone 4 running on its original 4.0.1, jailbroken with jailbreakme.com. I haven't updated to 4.1 because when I jailbroke it, there was no JB available for 4.1 yet and I needed ultrasn0W for the unlock. Right now it is currently locked to a network (Rogers), but I would like it to be unlocked so I can use SIM cards from overseas if I have to, since I travel quite a bit.

I would also like it to be jailbroken so I can download all the cool apps and features.

I have read that there are several ways to jailbreak and unlock in version 4.1. Limera1n, to my understanding, is the easiest option, but it does not allow me to unlock my phone since it upgrades the baseband. PwnageTool would help keep the baseband, but it's only for people with Macs.

So what are my options? Am I understanding everything correctly? Can someone please walk me through how I can go about with this upgrade, jailbreak and unlock?

Thanks!

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Two options:

1) Update to 4.1 running Tinyumbrella's TSS Server option. This will allow you to update and keep the baseband (IP4 only). You are going to get an error at end of update process since baseband could not be update. Just use "Kick out of recovery mode"' in Tinyumbrella to reboot the phone. Then, JB with whatever method you want, Redsnow, Limerain or Greenpoison. Afterward, install Ultrasnow through Cydia to unlock

2) Create (Pwnagetool) or find (google) a custom 4.1 firmware that keeps the baseband. You must use Redsnow to put the phone into DFU mode. Then, restore with custom firmware through iTunes. Afterward, use Ultrasnow.