From a total tech geek I will concede that the iPhone is

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconeight, Dec 17, 2011.

1. falconeight Guest

falconeight

The best smartphone with the best support if you concede that it is boring as hell to use.:D

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

That's admirable. At times I don't either I am right now though.

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

This really depends on the person and is subjective, i think if you are a total geek and assuming you can program, it opens a whole new universe of possibilities, you may have to jailbreak for certain things but overall i don't find it boring myself.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What the iPhone 4S does, it does well. It is really older technology and we will have to see what Apple comes up with next to judge if Apple can keep up! I also find it to be boring and restricted by iTunes in comparison to a good Android product!

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

It is usually the people using the phone who are boring ... not the phone itself :D

7. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    The whole point with iOS - be it on iPhone or iPad is to quickly and easily get you from home screen to app - not to entertain on the home screen. People should start thinking about the iPhone or any smart phone, not as a mini desktop or laptop that has a screen-saver running when not in use or widgets running in the background.

That's not what it was supposed to be. Really, how difficult or time consuming is it to swipe from one screen to the next, tap an app and get to whatever you are trying to get to? You want all kinds of stuff visible on the main screen - weather, texts, phone messages, Facebook status, etc? Maybe I'm just not as in to complex multi-tasking (when looking at my iPhone), I've got the 4 seconds required to swipe and tap as needed.

Of course this formula means that the iOS is "boring", but only when you're trying to think of or make the OS into a desktop replacement.

8. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

I agree the tacking on functions is starting to make it feel dated.

----------

I would argue that it takes 4 touches to get to the Bluetooth toggle then another push to activate or deactivate it.

----------

That's a very bb user type answer:D

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

I would argue that compared to the majority of other smartphones, the iPhones battery is such that you don't have to constantly toggle it on/off. You can simply leave it on, thus it's toggle button being four layers deep.

10. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Depends what you want out of a phone. I want to just get on with what I want. I dont want fan fare and fireworks before I listen to music the same way I don't want that when I go to make a drink. I think apple did a brilliant job of removing as much unnecessary stuff as possible. I want to plug right into the experience as if nothing is there between me and it. I do wonder if this is something Steve Jobs got from LSD

11. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Not anymore I think ios switched places with wp7

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Great, so there's also no need on WP7 phones to constantly toggle bluetooth on or off either!

As for the "dated" feeling, how do you reconcile how Android/WP OS upgrades go? With virtually all of those phones, you are never guaranteed to get the next major OS upgrade ever, much less within the week that it launches on newer model phones.

I've been going thru that with the Pocket PC Phone Edition/Windows Mobile since my first one back in 2001. Truly truly sucks having to spend the time baking your own ROM to get a buggy-at-best version of the latest OS on a capable, but not latest generation device the carrier and manufacturer won't create/test an OS update for. IMO, that's dated.

13. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I don't find it boring, but I am okay with it not being the most exciting either. A phone is primarily a tool, I honest don't really look to it for entertainment value. Maybe that's just me :)

14. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Ahhh I'm not trying to get in a os argument I just stated iOS is boring and it is. It doesn't help that the phone is also boring. It's still the best os for function reliability and on and on.

----------

You are correct

15. hizzaah macrumors 6502

I hate to admit it, but I too have grown bored with the iPhone. Not too much has changed with the UI since I got my 1st gen iPod touch.. The iP4 was my first iPhone and it was awesome because it had new features and a redesign, but after waiting so long for the 4S and having only a small change, it's losing it's appeal.

I can't see myself going to anything else though. I'll bump along and stick it out because in reality it is a really nice phone. Tech is just evolving so fast these days people (by people i mean me) get impatient and want something to change..

16. noobinator macrumors 601

Op you said you find the phone boring in addition to ios. What phone do you find exciting and why?

17. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I do find myself bored by my iPhone at times but it isn't a terrible thing. Now I can actually get my work done!

But seriously tho I think the honeymoon wears off of most phones. I've been an android user for a long time and made the switch because I finally stopped wanting to flash custom roms all the time. I just want a phone that works well, is integrated in with my computer and doesn't have signal issues. Bye bye Samsung galaxy 2. I loved and hated you

18. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

I actually find the Nokia lumia exciting and the Titan. WP7 right now has that sense of less is more just like the Mac. Android is nice but it's become like iOS just a bunch of great ideas over a few years that have taken from the experience. Flipboard and zite are really nice and right now if I had to chose it would be ios but as long as there are options I think would try wp7 for awhile. At least until apple does something new with hardware or software.

Tiny folders, puldown menus, and a screen holding apps are just not cutting it anymore. WP7 feels more like a operations system with some apps. iOS just feels dated and static. I hate Microsoft products of the past but I am really thinking about making the jump.

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

The 4S has actually more features than I need, so it's the ideal "boring" phone.

20. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

And that's my issue as well. I guess it's for mainstream phone users who live and breath apple. There are a million case options and even they bore me.

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I view iOS and WP7 as two different approaches to what a phone OS should be.

iOS tries to make it as simple as possible to get into an app.

WP7 tries to make it as simple as possible to get information.

Either approaches are bad or good, just different.

I 100% agree that recently, the "tacked on" feel of new features is off-putting, the worst offender, IMO, being the multitasking bar.

But it's still a great OS, nonetheless, and does what it's supposed to. It's still my main OS after all this time.

WP7, on the other hand... in my own personal opinion, it's the best of the two as far as approaches goes. Most of the time, when I take out my phone, I wanted to check on a couple of things fast. How many emails do I have? Messages? Anything new?

iOS has improved this aspect VASTLY with the notifications center, but WP7 is designed to the core for this kind of thing.

However, despite the fact that I almost switched to WP7, I remained with iOS because of some vital features (which are out of the scope of this discussion).

Oh... Android? It's crap. Many people use it, and many people profess that they love it, but I don't see it. It's like back in the 90's how many people clamor that Windows 98 was the best OS. *shrug* that's, like, their opinion, man.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey, we cant all like the same things.
    If another phone excites you life then go for it.
    For me the iphone and its OS does all that I need, nice, simple and fast.
    Im not a little kid that likes to play with his new toy and gets bored after a few days and wants something new and different.

23. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Well said and I too have invested much money and time into ios. I like the social integration of wp7 and the calendar tile. Battery life is also nice. iOS is going the android route and soon will be about the same.

----------

I've used iOS for over 3 years that's a long time.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I used it since day 1 the original iphone came out and love it.
    Never going back to another phone or OS.
    But that's why we have choices out there, do what makes you happy and fits your needs.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am going out on a limb here, but I think he was responding to you accusations of him being a child...

Three years is a long time, in terms of using a phone. I wouldn't call that getting bored with your phone after a short time has passed.