From C|Net: "Music industry bows to point-and-shoot cameras"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jbernie, Nov 10, 2009.

1. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

An interesting article on C|Net regarding concert photography and the issues faced with so many people having (high resolution) still & video cameras in such portable devices these days. The basic rule seems to be DSLR = Pro and you need credentials. Anything else = ok.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10392935-52.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.1

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My local sports team had a rule: any lens longer then 4 inches, not permitted.

3. beaner454 macrumors regular

I never understood this type of rule. Isn't it in the band and labels best interest to let people take pictures at concerts? It just ends up being publicity for them. I mean I'm glad that they're bending on it now, but it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

4. Edge100 macrumors 68000

U2 has let cameras in for years; I have photos from the 2001 Elevation Tour that I took on a crappy disposible film camera. They were ahead of the game on this.

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

This isn't something new, p&s cameras have been allowed at concerts for a long time

For the Seattle Sounders lenses no longer than 6 inches are ok iirc.

Back to topic, both the "pro" and amateur photos suck. Especially the "pro's." Notice it's just as blurry/not in focus.

Point and Shoots will not be able to capture high end images (and thats where the Pro comes in) of a performance. At least not for many years down the road and probably still not even then.

The reason for these kind of "no pro cameras allowed" rules are that most performers/managers don't want someone from the general public selling photos taken with a pro-dslr for money.

Most little p&s with their cramped sensors that produce horrible noise levels will not make for a great shot that could make money.

Most photogs in the photo pit are with a publication or some such media outlet. And they are getting (hopefully) paid to take the photos for their respected publications.

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The last concert I went to about a month ago was in a relatively small venue, and I saw about 3 different people with DSLRs. I just purchased my own DSLR and wanted to take it to a different venue for a concert that I'm going to next week, but I'm not really sure if they'd let me in. That venue has a website and a FAQ page that states that they don't allow any cameras, but I looked at a flickr discussion that said that the FAQ page was outdated and that it mostly depended on the artist performing. So I'm not really sure what to do. If I call and ask, I'm more than positive they'll just tell me "no".

But seeing that many people with DSLRs at the last concert I went to got me curious. And I even saw someone in the concert before that with a relatively large video camera with a small boom microphone.