From Early 2006 MB White 13" to the Late 2013 MBPr 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cydone, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Cydone macrumors newbie

I almost made it to 8 years on this incredible machine! New ram, new HD, new battery, new cover, new heat censor, but still runs! Just a few brightness and fan issues, other than that runs like a kitten.

Thats why I'm a mac user. The durability of the core hardware is insane!

Can't wait for my new maxed out MBPr 13" to arrive!

Woop!

(edit: oh its rMBP now..)

2. Animalk macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat as you.

I have an MBP from 2006 and it still runs perfect.

3. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Typing on my Core duo 2006 blackbook as we speak :D
    In the same boat as well just trying to decide on which new model mbp I want to purchase that will replace this machine

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

The blackbook is such a unique apple machine that I would not let it go if budget permits it.

5. Cydone thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you guys upgrading, or holding on to it for a bit longer?

6. jfremani macrumors regular

I am still using a mid-2007 white macbook with Lion. It still runs well and the battery holds a charge. I upgraded the RAM to 4gb although it only recognizes ~3gb and put a SSD HD in there. It is plenty powerful enough for my browsing, iPhoto, Coda, vmware (for visual studio), Office apps, Garageband, etc. I have dropped it a few times so it has a crack on the bottom and some broken plastic around the edges. I never put it in a case or anything like that.

I thought maybe I just got lucky.

I'm not sure if it is realistic to expect such longevity from these new rMBP's though. I just ordered the new 13" rMBP so I guess I'll eventually find out..

I'm going to miss the look of the White MB.

7. Animalk macrumors 6502

I will be buying a new rMBP in the coming weeks hopefully.

8. Cydone thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill be keeping my white as a legacy, it will be there, and when ever I feel a spike of nostalgia, ill boot it up :)

9. mscice macrumors regular

Im i the same boat, I have a March 2008 release... upgraded the HD to ssd and also ram to 4gb ... running Mavericks like a champ... it runs 24/7 as its hooked up to a 24" LED display.

However Its been 5 years time for a new upgrade, decided to go with 13" 2.4 ghz 8Gb model 256Gb ssd model, since 16Gb is overkill and you will never use that ... with mavericks 8Gb is like having 12Gb of ram, this OS is crazy.

Good luck all with your new machines, hopefully they will last us again another 5 years.

10. theKitch macrumors member

I just upgraded from a 2009 and my mind is blown with the new system. Prepare for liftoff.

11. McScooby macrumors 6502

For the cracked edges take it into an Apple Store & they'll replace the case free of charge, to one that doesn't crack, I did it earlier this year, I'm finding it hard to part with!

12. doubleaa macrumors regular

I'm upgrading from a Mid 2007 15" MBP to a full spec 13" MBPr. Looking forward to it.