From iPhone 5 to 5s? How to do it hassle free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdourado, Sep 27, 2013.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello,
    Need your advice.
    I currently have my 5 runing IOS 7.0.2.
    It is set up how I like it.
    I have plenty SMS messages, all my email accounts synced in mail, my contacts and calendar from iCloud.
    I have 2000 pictures on my camera roll, some videos, some music albums.
    I have dozens of installed apps, all set up and with save data, like my angry birds games, where's my water, real racing 3...

When my 5s arrives, what is the best way to have my 5s like my 5 with all that data?

Full backup of the 5 with itunes and then restore on the 5s?
    Will everything be the same once the 5s restores the backup?

I have never restored before. Before my 5 I had a trip down android lane... :)

Cheers and thanks!

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

If you back up your old iPhone in iTunes, and then Restore your new one from that backup, your new iPhone should be identical to the old one, down to the wallpaper you used and your ringtone selection.

3. gdourado, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

Great! Just what I wanted to hear. This is why I love Apple and the way they do things! :)

Just one more question. To get the free iWork apps, I have to do it before restoring the phone?

Thanks

4. mizzourah macrumors regular

I don't believe that is correct. You can restore your phone, then add the iwork suite. It's tied to your new device..not to any previous image of your phone. You can't install it free on your old device so just restore..then add the new apps. They should show 'FREE' in the app store.

5. Partridge macrumors 6502

Easiest way to do it is iCloud, if you have enough storage for a full backup.

Just turn on the new iPhone, log in, restore from iCloud backup and it will restore all the info and automatically download all the applications as well. It'll even pause the restore if you go off wifi and resume when you get back on. Seamless for me.

Doing it on the computer is more of a pain. You need a backup AND have synced all your apps and data to the computer. The restore from backup on a computer will not restore your apps and springboard layout unless you sync afterwards. Major pita, and you have to have a fair bit of free HD space for the backup and apps.

6. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I went from a 5 running 7.0 to a 5s running 7.0. I just connected the 5 to iTunes and made a backup, then connected 5s and first set up as a new device. After the 5s was synced with iTunes and then did a restore from my 5 backup. Everything came over to the 5s exactly like it was on my 5, only thing I had to do was input Apple ID password. Guessing this is because of touch ID and the fact that the phone now has a different ID associated with my Apple account.

Also i recommend you turn off Find my iPhone on the 5 before the backup, once the 5s is restored and fully up to date you can turn it back on.

7. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

I have 40gb of used space on my iPhone 5 and only 5gb of iCloud. The free option.
    Can you please elaborate on the backup / restore process using the mac? My intent is getting the 5s exactly as my 5.

Cheers!

8. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Free iWork

When you get your new phone, before you restore the backup from your iP5, log on to your new 5s with your Apple ID first and open the app store, until you get iWork/iPhoto/iMovie to show up as free. After that, you can verify on your iP5 that you now have those apps on your account.

I had a bit of trouble claiming those free apps when I got the 5s. No matter what I did they woldn't show up as free. What finally got them to show up as free for me was to log out of everything on the phone (iCloud, app store, etc), turn off the phone and back on, then log on again and then they showed as free.

9. Partridge macrumors 6502

Hook up old iPhone to Mac. Sync. Backup. If you want passwords to transfer, check off encryption when you backup. Transfer purchases to the Mac.

Setup new iPhone. Plug into Mac and restore from backup. Sync to Mac.

Everything should be transferred over.

10. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Just make sure to back-up to your computer first and turn on password lock of your backup. With password lock on, it will save a lot more data...especially saved passwords to apps that require password access, etc. I'm not sure about how well things like game progress, etc are backed up. But I do know you will get the maximum transfer if you password lock the backup. Don't erase your 5 until you are comfortable with everything on the 5S.

11. M87 macrumors 65816

Backup via iTunes or iCloud (make sure iCloud isn't set to exclude anything important to you, though you would've had to have done this yourself anyway so it's not likely a problem) then just restore from that backup on the new phone.

12. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I backup BOTH to iTunes and the cloud - my personal philosophy is there is no such thing as too many backups.
    I have mostly, with no great reason other than I feel better, done major upgrades and new equipment from iTunes. I did a replacement iPad over the cloud while actually in the Apple store.
    Either way works great - depends upon how strong WiFi etc.

I do the check box to secure the backup because then it backs up passwords for things like email and wifi which is great.