From Macbook Pro Core i5 2.53ghz HR AG - to Macbook Alu Unibody C2D 2.4ghz...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peapody, Jul 19, 2010.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Besides my sanity - and the HR AG screen, what am I losing here in terms of processing power, graphics and start up times?

Some of you guys who follow my exploits will know that I just got this computer - and it is my dream computer! But alas...the economy, pressures from parents, marginal increases in need for portability, and bills...cannot be ignored any longer.

I do photoshopping and illustrator, web design about 30-50 hours a month. I have an ssd in my optibay that I would bring over to the macbook so I hope I won't lose too much speed there. In all honesty, it is too much computer for me...but I love everything about it. Picking up a macbook from a member here for $600, so I will get a l lot of change back. Sigh. The economic times!

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Why give up the great notebook when you could sell the ipad, the ipod, and/or even drop the blackberry?

3. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

4. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Cheaper. $600 for a macbook. I need the cash!

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

You know you're loosing processing power, and the AG screen, but you're getting all that cash, and your sanity, so it's a great deal!!!

6. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but I would mag to grid the ipad and ipod touch before I sold my laptop again. I recently sold my i5 2.4 hi res as I hated the screen and went and brought a white macbook thinking I would save money as it was 1/2 the price. What a mistake that was.

I could use it but by god it was painful slow and no backlit keyboard was a pain at times. So I sold up again and got my current 17" brand new and sealed for less then a new 13MBP.

7. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Tell me how you did that and I will sell my 2010 13" right now!

8. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

I would do the same but I have uses for both the ipad and ipod. Need the ipod for epocrates and lexicomp for drug references for my rotations and work. Need the ipad for guidelines and journal articles which I need to read a lot!

I am going to hold on to both laptops..in fact I am going to use the 13" while I am across the country visiting my parents, and I will leave my 15" with my boyfriend to use for a couple weeks. That would be a good test of whether I can put up with the Macbook.

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I brought it from ebay from a store. I was a bit dubious but I took a bit of a gamble as I thought sod it I will take a risk. If it is something else I would simply return it.

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Personally, I absolutely love my MB. Yes, there is a loss of processing power, but it isn't weak. I don't need anything more than what I have, so it is perfect for me (although I have 4GB RAM and a 320GB scorpio black coming soon, and of course the screw that holds my drive in stripped). Anyhow, it is still a great computer.

11. shoppy macrumors 6502a

That is fair enough, once you have that much speed and general snappiness and the screen you get used it very quickly. I am lucky I have both 13" and 17". Though I like the 13" as it is small, I really dislike it at the same time and it feels great wen I use my 17". Hard to explain.

12. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Anyone else know what I am losing in processing power? I guess I would have to test it out myself, but I was planning to pimp out this macbook, and put in my SSD optibay set up in it. I am pretty sure that may kill my battery life. I just need a fast start up and applications launch.

13. demonsavatar macrumors regular

No big deal on processing power unless you really use those extra threads. For heavy encoding and running in VMWare you may notice a difference. SSD makes way more of a difference in application launching than the CPU though.

14. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

I think I will be bootcamping.

I do some photoshop work though. Will that be a problem?

15. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Photoshop can take advantage of GPU to apply certain filters and transforms. If you use that stuff a lot you may notice it. Also photoshop is fairly parallelized so it uses as many threads as it can.

16. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7