From Note 2 to iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fireworksdesign, Apr 10, 2013.

1. fireworksdesign macrumors member

Hi guys , I was an iphone 1 user years ago. Switched to jet > s2 > note 2 then swapped it with my brother's iphone 5.

The note 2 is a good device but it's just too big for me , I'm having a problem carrying it in my pocket and I think I just wanted to try it and not totally "use" what's it's intended for. Since I also have an air and another tablet.

What I miss about it though is the back , home and menu buttons. Anyways so I did a factory reset on the iphone5. Installed some applications here and there. I noticed the wifi turns on/off frequently and it's really irritating. On my note 2 I didn't encounter any of these problems. My air is connected to the wifi as well and it didn't lose the connection.

I thought maybe my brother is downloading someting in his laptop, he's 2 other phones are connected via wifi as well. Few hours later , I tried removing the spigen bumper ( the black one ) to give it a try. And wifi works well without disconnecting. Installed the bumper again and it's fine now.

Not sure what could have caused it, brother downloading files or is this a software issue ?

Any applications you can recommend ?

What is the difference between reset settings in the iphone settings ( erase all content and settings ) and using itunes restore option?

In the android there's an application called airdroid were you can transfer files via wifi , is there's a similar app on the iphone?

How long does the battery last ?

2. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Is your router a WIFI that you are connecting to a 5ghz band? At my last job our iPads had issues like this with the routers and the result was to turn off the N band and use the older bands. No more drops. I would try that to see what happens. If not, then Apple store visit. Though I have no issues at my house on 5ghz band with any of my devices. So I am sure it's something with your router. Some devices get a long with some routers and some don't.

3. fireworksdesign thread starter macrumors member

I have this > http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_660hn_t1a.shtml

provided by the isp. I was thinking of using another router ( my cisco e1200) as a bridge but im having trouble configuring it. As of now wifi is working well , I'll test it tomorrow.

For apps that you have used it appears when you click the home button, do these apps take up resources when not in use? so you have to manually close them all?

4. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

The elegance of iOS is that you don't have to manage the apps - iOS takes care of it. When you press the home button to leave an app, the app is paused. iOS will automatically kill apps that are paused if the current app needs more resources than currently available.

5. fireworksdesign thread starter macrumors member

So with paused apps , for example there's like 20. Does it drain the battery?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, iOS saves the state and it the inactive apps are not consuming any resources that would impact the battery.

7. fireworksdesign thread starter macrumors member

Isee that's good.

Is there a way to delete or hide apps that I don't use. For example the weather app doesn't work here , accuweather works better. And that also goes with stocks and passport. I don't want to jailbreak my phone.

I got this phone with an oleophobic spigen screen protector , eventhough it's nice that your phone gets protected. But the smudges look the phone really old. In my note 2 it was a flip hardbook case and the screen looked flawless ( just had to clean it each day ).

Supposed I remove the protector ( front and back ) , while the phone get scratched easily ?

8. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

If you're interested, here's some in-depth info on iOS multitasking:

How iOS multitasking really works

9. fireworksdesign thread starter macrumors member

Is the screen protector really necessary ? Since I bought my macbook air 2011 ( had zagg installed in back and front ) and had zero scratches. And also it came to the point that I had to follow a set of "rules" to make sure it doesn't get scratched or damaged. Same goes with my previous note 2. I'm very careful now when it comes to handling phones , putting them always in a smooth safe place.

So If I go all naked, remove the protector , bumper , is this a good idea? Or should I replace the screen protector installed ? I want something that is easy to clean and looks like it's not there.