From the Horse's Mouth: 2.26 faster than 3.2 (not confirmed)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cybeross, Mar 5, 2009.

1. cybeross macrumors newbie

So, I called an apple business rep on the phone, and he suggested to me that the comparisons on the site were purely clock-speed, and did not reflect the real-world advantages of the systems in multicore apps (ie, logic, my main concern). He said that the 2.26 would "definitely" be faster in real-world situations than the old 3.2. He seemed very confident, and said that they've "been waiting for over a year for intel's new architecture, and it was not for no reason." So, don't know if it's true or not, but got my hopes up all over again...

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I am waiting to see what Rob-Art has to say next week at Barefeats.com

3. Fomaphone macrumors regular

I just called apple customer support and was transferred to the desktop division.

I spoke to a fairly knowledgeable guy named Kevin. I asked him verbatim, "Is the march 2009 mac pro eight core 2.26 faster in terms of overall performance than the 2008 eight core 3.2 system?"

He said, "The answer to that question is yes."

I said, "Yes? Really? Faster than the 3.2?"

Again, "Yes," he said. He continued, "You'll see a good amount of a speed advantage in the new ones, and even the lowest eight core of the new models should be faster."

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

That would mean Nehalem under OS X being at least 40% faster than Penryn.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

mghz dont mean everything. the architecture is important as well as sooo many other factors

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yep which is why there is a lot of confusion, but a 40% increase in performance across all applications in benchmarks isn't something that is being found on the single quad core Nehalems that are already out. Let alone real world performance.

7. m1stake macrumors 68000

In memory intensive apps this may be true, but generally this sounds like a lie plain and simple. It would be interesting to underclock a 920 to 2.26 and see how it's numbers compare to to a 3.2Ghz eight core (nanofrog, I demand you do this immediately). All Windows or all OSX, of course. Not an entirely accurate comparison, but should give people at least some idea of how they stack up.

8. gzfelix macrumors member

This article lists some interesting result from the server side real-world applications:
    We were quite amazed, even slightly suspicious, when HP and Fujitsu-Siemens Published their SAP numbers. These numbers showed that the newest Xeon X5570 (Nehalem EP) series offer an enormous performance boost over the Xeon X5470 (Harpertown). After all, an almost 100% improvement at a slightly lower speed (2.93 GHz vs 3.3 GHz) is nothing short of amazing. Turns out that the real clockspeed is 3.2 GHz (2.93 GHz + 266 MHz turbo) but that does not alter the fact that these are truly incredible performance numbers. ​

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Why is everyone so surprised? Did NONE of you read any of the Core i7 reviews on Windows? It's the same story, 40% or more performance increase. It was a given that the new Xeons would be the same.

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

But!... But!... But!... ah, crap

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

SAP is perfect for showing off the improvements in the Nehalem/Tylersburg architectures. It is in the server space where it will really shine. That doesn't necessarily translate to the workflow of someone who spends their days creating digital content though.

40% was banded about early on, then it was more 20%-40% depending on Application. Then when the processors went in to the wild things like this appeared:

[​IMG]

I know Nehalem has big improvements, but I am skeptical that a 2.26GHz processor is "faster" than a Penryn 3.2GHz. I'm happy to be proved wrong :). I would love it if through Snow Leopard and encouracing the bigger application developers to imrpove code that the architecture changes and more specifically multi-threading capabilities could really enhance performance.

12. dannymarr macrumors member

But what about Quu's comment in this thread???:confused:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=661204

13. suttar macrumors newbie

Here is my test results.
    I tested MPEG4 to Divx (v6.6) Export Encoding by EyeTV 3.1 on Leopard 10.5.6. (by EFI-X, OSx86 machines)

Source video file : 20min (511MB) MPEG4 format on FW400 Ext HDD

Q6600 3.2GHz (2GB RAM) : 345sec to finish exporting by Divx Encoding
    i7 920 2.66GHz (3GB RAM) : 317sec (8.1% faster from Q6600 3.2GHz)
    i7 920 2.92GHz (3GB RAM) : 293sec (15.1% faster from Q6600 3.2GHz)
    i7 920 3.2GHz (3GB RAM) : 271sec (21.5% faster from Q6600 3.2GHz)

All of this results are based on quad-core, but we can guess by 8-core.
    I think if you had previous 8-core 3.2GHz MP, you should get 2.93GHz model (or at least 2.66GHz). Otherwise, won't be impressed...

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So a guy at Apple told you that their newest Apple product was faster than their older, less expensive Apple product?

WOW!
    Captain Obvious 5 finished.jpg

15. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Those numbers are exactly sort of thing I had in mind when discussing things in the "Gainestown: What we know" thread.

Being that 6 of the benchmarks on Apple's site put the 2.93GHz as 1.2x faster than the 3.2Ghz that means the 2.26GHz is 93% as fast as a 3.2GHz in those benchmarks. (Purely based on strict numbers of course)

16. Fomaphone macrumors regular

i know, i know. but i read the OP and wanted to see if i'd get the same answer out of an apple rep. since i called, i figured i'd post. note that i didn't call a business rep, but a desktop tech rep.

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Do you have an '08 MP 3.2 Octo lying around?

I don't, :( so I can't actually compare them. ;) :p

If we can get someone with one and is willing to help, we could pull it off. :)

MacRumors Testing Labs Presents... :p

18. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

How about someone post a 300 meg file (test file) to encode with handbrake and all of us with mac pros do this and post results. Doesnt have to be exactly 300 but the same file size everyone can use. We start this now and by the time folks receive the new mac pros, we will have a good data set to compare. We would need a place for everyone to download this from though. I think the handbrake test would give us a good idea of raw power.

19. m1stake macrumors 68000

I meant you could supply the i7 numbers. I'm sure someone around here has a 3.2Ghz Mac Pro. :rolleyes:

20. m1stake macrumors 68000

Just to get something up quickly, download this video of me playing Halo. Do whatever you want to it, just make sure you say what you did so people can use an identical method. It's only about 60MB, but as long as the file is the same the data will be fine.

http://files.filefront.com/cobrentwmv/;13389160;/fileinfo.html

Woo, double post. I wish I'd pay more attention.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

I know what you meant. :D :p

Any particular benchmarks (preferably free trials)?

What I've already downloaded:
    CPU-Z
    Sisoft Sandra
    Prime95
    Everest Ultimate
    Geekbench

22. shokunin macrumors regular

The Q6600 is built on the 65nm process while the Xeons in the Early 2008 Mac Pro are built on the 45nm process. The Xeons should be faster than the Q6600.

23. shokunin macrumors regular

Well I don't have the 3.2 but my Octo MP is base 2.8ghz and I have underclocked my Hackintosh i7 920 to 2.26 (by lowering the multipler).

Geekbench Score stock Mac Pro 2.8 Octo-core= 9143
    Geekbench Score underclock 920 @ 2.26ghz quad-core = 6841

Now if we get an octo 3.2 benchmark..

Geekbench Score 920 @ 3.2ghz quad-core = 9679

24. WonderSausage macrumors member

WonderSausage

it's important to remember that benchmarking single-socket Core i7 vs. Core 2 Quad does not reflect the performance difference between a dual Harpertown and a dual Gainestown.

The new Intel QPI (Quickpath Interconnect) is similar to AMD's HyperTransport and allows the CPUs to talk directly to each other without having to go through the north bridge. The integrated memory controllers allow each CPU to control its own memory, again without being gated by the north bridge. In fact, there is no north bridge anymore, the X58 is merely an I/O hub.

What I'm saying is that there is much more of a performance difference between dual Harpertowns and dual Gainestowns than there is between single CPUs of similar architecture.

On top of that, we have hugely better memory latency and throughput. This is not merely a comparison of DDR2-800 to DDR3-1066. The Harpertowns used FB-DIMMs, and the buffering adds significantly to latency. Depending on load, an FB-DIMM can add 25% latency vs. an ordinary DDR2-800 setup.

25. m1stake macrumors 68000

It's obvious that these benchmarks have more holes than Swiss cheese, but we want to get an idea of how the new single quad compares to the dual harpertown model. Not sure why I thought of underclocking (tipsy post).

Instead of a canned benchmark, try converting that file I posted from the current wmv to MPEG4 with HB and see how long of takes. Quick and dirty, but close enough.