From the school of unintended consequences

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Cities and the like using Google Earth to find violations, like pools without permits.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loc...th-Used-To-Find-Unlicensed-Pools-20100801-apx

A town on New York's Long Island is using Google Earth to find backyard pools that don't have the proper permits.

I figure it won't be long before many other localities catch on to this, after the information is open to anyone. I do agree it kind of feels like big brother but what can we do when the information collected is not done by the government and given up for free?

2. 184550 Guest

Interesting. I don't really see what the owners could do about it though. I suppose they should have followed the law in the first place.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

"We" can not be stupid enough to build bright blue swimming pools in our backyards that can be seen from space without appropriate planning approval.

However this is an example of government becoming more efficient. No more chartered flights to take aerial surveillance photographs for this task as has been used.....

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Let this be a lesson to you. Have sex in your pool, constantly. Then, as soon as google images posts the satellite view, have it taken down on privacy grounds.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Apart from people who've bought a house without knowing the pool didn't get planning permission, that's a pretty clever way of catching any fraudulent types, good way to save money like .Andy said.

6. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I agree. It's like law enforcement's use of infrared cameras in helicopters and cars to find growers of marijuana (both in the home and otherwise). Very efficient, and there should be no expectation of privacy in that regard.

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Marijuana or not, that should be illegal.

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The Supreme Court ruled that unconstitutional in 2003, and rightly so. If you cannot expect to have privacy in your own home with the curtains drawn and the doors closed, then you cannot expect to have privacy anywhere.

9. awmazz macrumors 65816

Dunno, does it constitute a search of private property? Electronic surveillance? Maybe a local council can do it due to inspection/permit guidelines, but can law enforcement use it?

If they can't monitor and record your private phone calls electronically without a warrant, can they monitor and record what you do in your backyard electronically?

I know there are laws saying you can take pictures of private property *from* public property, so it's probably covered by that.

10. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I'll Bite

What is the government doing telling you how to build your pool?

(Braces for impact)

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It's more than that. They want the taxes too.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Believe it or not, there are real reasons for this. In Chicago you can't have an in-ground pool due to concerns about all the things that run beneath our streets, such as sewer, electrical and other things that run underneath our feet.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because before you dig a 10 foot trench in your backyard, it's usually a good idea to know if sewer lines, electrical lines, gas lines, etc, are running underneath your property.

Edit: D'oh, Lee beet me to it.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well you have all the things that run below ground for one.
    Another is the Pools have to drain according to local regulations. For example they normally have to be able to drain into the local sewer system. They are not allowed to drain into the storm water system.

Since it is draining into the sewer system you have limits like how many GPA are allowed to drain into it because if you go over that number you over load the system and it back ups. That limitation is going to be different threw out the city depending on were you are.

Another thing is you might be limited to how deep you can make the pool due to location. In one part of one city I know of they will not allow in ground pools because the pools bottoms would go below the cities sewer lines at that point so there would be no way to drain the pool. If they owners tired to drain it instead the sewer water would go backwards and fill the pool.

Remember cities sewer systems are gravity run.

Add of course all the mess of everything else under the ground. That a lot times is controlled by frost line.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and here in Los Angeles we don't want your pool sliding down the hillside into our yard when there's an earthquake :eek:

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And don't forget that they use huge amounts of water.