Front fan sounds like it's grinding...any way to oil it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Pat H, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Pat H macrumors member

One of the front fans on my early '08 Mac Pro sounds like it's grinding. When I first boot up the fans are whisper quiet as they should be, but give it a few minutes and there is a distinct grinding sound and I've narrowed it to the top fan on the front of the case. When the system is turned of, the fan whines to a stop. Is there any way to lubricate the fan to solve this? The access doesn't seem very easy, and I'd rather not have to mess with the case assembly. Or do I have to pay some kid at the apple store a hundred or so to do it? :rolleyes:

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

How about removing it to clean? it's probably making odd sounds cause there's loads of fluff stuck to it.

On the '08 it's fairly easy to get at. Just a case of removing the magnetic CPU cover and two screws and the whole grey section pulls out, here's some instructions:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Oiling would be no option. Modern roller and fluid dynamic bearings experience mechanical damage before they start emitting noise.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would clean it. My fan recently started sounding a bit louder than normal. Since my box sits on the floor I'm certain it's dust. Thanks UltraNEO for posting instructions. I looked but I was unsure how to get to the fan.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Where do I get such manuals? I would like to disassemble my '09 Pro in order to install some additional cables, therefore it would be nice to have some illustrated instructions.

6. Pat H thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ultraneo! I'll have to try that this weekend.