Frustration about apples MBP 2015 15" battery replacement program

OSX15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
Dear friends,

Allow me to share some of my recent frustrations with Applecare..

As a business owner I own two MBP 2015 15" with the 2.8 GHz and secondary graphics card. These machines are rarely used as they function as back-up machines when our newer ones (2019's) are in repair, etc. Therefore they have only been used very sporadically and are basically new in terms of hardware/battery/condition since we bought them late 2016.

In December 2018 I've already paid once for a battery replacement of a 2015 15" and then this computer went back into the storage room. (of course we made sure to charge it from time to time and we didn't store it with low battery)

In July 2019 Apple recommended us to replace the battery again due to possible problems, I've told them I had already replaced the battery on my own cost in late 2018 but they still insisted I should use the service program for this particular machine. (that original battery had just 12 cycles and still 102% health at this point)

Fast forward to January 2020, The machine has been in storage for 4/5 months and we now found out that this 'new' battery from the replacement program in late July 2019 is faulty. I've bought a new magsafe charger, did 3 re-installs and tried SMC resets, unfortunately it still drops randomly from 0 to 100 percent and everywhere in between.

The status says 'normal' and the battery health percentage fluctuates from 75 to 94/95%
The bad thing is that the status changes a lot, so it's hard to determine if I can show the flaw when I have just 15 minutes at the Genius Bar.

So today I called Apple Support and told them my story, they know we are a good customer for a small business; we bought at least $41.000 in Apple Computers and extra Warranty since 2013.. They looked at this particular MacBook Pro and just said that the replaced battery is already 5,5 months old, therefore it has no warranty anymore and we should pay € 250 to replace it.

I am quite pissed.. How can they replace a perfectly working battery which had only 12 cycles and 102% health and than claim 5 months later that the warranty on their own "new" replacement battery has expired..

Maybe this is standard practice and considered "normal" but I can't wrap my head around this. If anyone else has gone through a similar situation, please inform me how it was resolved or what actions you took.

Regards,

Webster's Mac

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
I'd try calling Apple Support again and ask to speak to a manager. I mean they really aren't liable as you didn't really use the machine during the repair warranty period but you may find a manager who has sympathy. If you have a repair done, always use the machine a good bit to make sure it's ok. Even if you just take it with you to a coffee shop and browse reddit or watch Youtube just to make sure it works fine.

OSX15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
I'd try calling Apple Support again and ask to speak to a manager. I mean they really aren't liable as you didn't really use the machine during the repair warranty period but you may find a manager who has sympathy. If you have a repair done, always use the machine a good bit to make sure it's ok. Even if you just take it with you to a coffee shop and browse reddit or watch Youtube just to make sure it works fine.
Yeah you are right, I will try to escalate it further. They did provide a report after the repair that said it passed all diagnostic tests and afterwards I did a check while being plugged in to the charger. In retrospect this was clearly not enough.

OSX15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
Well I've tried getting this resolved... The store basically says it's bad luck and I should live with it. I think I will pay the fee to replace the battery AGAIN and than just write an e-mail to Apple's customer service.

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
Bummer of a story...

This is another in the line of disappointing tales of the “new Apple” (not even sure when it really started).

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Write an email to Tcook@apple and see what you get. Put something in to the BBB for added visibility.

The more you give visibility into them and their garbage policies the more others will know.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Tim dgaf
He’s laughing all the way to the B-A-N-K
That's fine, he can laugh all he wants and in the mean time I'll feel fine about buying multiple devices and sending all the defective ones back for him to eat crow with.

Check your devices, and check them thoroughly when you get them is the best advice. Leaving a device to not be used for a long period of time is never good. Otherwise, why have it?

Reactions: turbineseaplane