Frys has a 22" monitor for $200

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iBookG4user, May 21, 2007.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I ordered a Viewsonic 22" VX2235wm widescreen LCD for $200 ($242 after shipping and tax) yesterday from Frys. It should arrive on Wednesday, I just couldn't pass it up at that price. I'll tell you how I like it when I get it. It's got great reviews over at newegg with 5 out of 5, so it should be really nice. Just thought I'd pass on the great deal, usual price is over $300.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I paid a lot more than that for my VG2230wm a few months ago. And I love it.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

5. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Not sure if it matters but it says refurbished in the item description.

Nuc

6. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I live down the street from Fry's so I'm there a lot.
    "Refurb" stickers are on a lot of their stuff. I pass on them. Also, many of their great deals require mail in rebates which are a pain in the A$$.

Really good deals are hit and miss over there. Last week I got a 1GB Memorex flash drive for $12. I couldn't find anyplace else that could beat that.

7. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

This deal has no rebates whatsoever, I'll be sure to tell of the quality of the LCD. I don't think that it should be too bad of quality, ViewSonic seems to be a pretty good company.

8. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I just received the monitor today and it's fantastic! The monitor is huge compared to what I'm used to, and the higher resolution is really good compared to my MacBook Pro. I have absolutely no dead pixels which I'm very pleased about, I seem to have good luck with LCDs :). If I didn't know that this monitor was refurbished I would've thought it was brand new, because I see no signs that it has been used before.

The only complaints that I have about it are that the buttons on the LCD are small and you can't really read what's on them. You have to look very closely to see what they are, the buttons are also inlaid and are hard to press, but you really don't need to use them that often. The only other complaint is that the LCD is a bit brighter at the top, but it doesn't go past the menu bar, so you'll never notice that.

All in all it's a steal at $200, you definitely get more than what you pay for it. It's a fantastic monitor for a fantastic price, I highly recommend it.

9. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

10. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, the native resolution is 1680 x 1050 and the MacBook can handle that.

11. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Can you take a picture of it in your environment (if it isn't to much trouble)? It looks.. squareish for a widescreen.. instead of rectangular.

12. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I took two pictures of it from different angles, one having my MacBook Pro in it to show how wide it is in comparison. But I can tell that it is widescreen when I'm using it.

Attached Files:

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

1680x1050 is its native resolution.

14. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

15. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

fixed. Sorry, I have to use a different keyboard with the new monitor, and I'm not used to it yet.

16. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I just tried to run the monitor at a non widescreen resolution and the monitor stretched it to fit the monitor. So be weary of that if it affects your normal usage.

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

All widescreens do that at a non-native resolution

18. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Not true, my MacBook Pro screen does not do this, which is why I mentioned that.

19. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Really? I see...I haven't played with the laptops before. All the external LCDs i have played with do this. ;)

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It will if you choose "stretched" resolutions from System Preferences. I imagine that because Apple builds the LCD, and it's integrated into the computer, the more "integrated" situation allows for this.