Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antonwalker

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
i heard 7200.9 had less bugs. But that was a while ago. I wouldn't buy a seagate if it was 10 bucks anyway though. I hate seagate.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
ST3500641AS-RK Is What These Are

i just popped the seagate part number into google: ST3500641A-RK

i think (not sure on this) that the 7200.10 is perpendicular and 7200.9 is not. i also hear the 7200.10 runs a little hotter.
ST3500641AS-RK Is What These Are. I imagine the "S'" is for Serial and the model number you put in is IDE or PATA. I'm sure these aren't perpendicular. Box still ©2006 on it and there's no perpendicular copy on it like I've seen on the perp boxes already. Includes Native Command Queuing tech. Fry's price sticker says $180. These are in retail kit boxes not RAW.

All I need now is an 8 Core MP to put 'em in. :D

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
I Have Lots Of SATA Bays I Wanted To Max Out At This Price

Why the heck did you get 7
4 will go in my 8 Core Mac Pro. 1 goes in my Quad G5 which as a WD 500GB Boot Drive but only a 400GB SATA under it. Pulling the 400 bottom and putting in the 500. The other 2 go in my last gen 2GHz Dual Core G5 to increase its resale value.

750GB HDs are still much more expensive than the $180 the should be to be competitive with this price.

Why are you avoiding my question about why you hate Seagate?

antonwalker

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
bad experiences. Loud, slow compared to others, hot, lots of defects, and I'd rather have a WD raptor or some other brand. I have read that people have had a few problems with WD, but i haven't.:rolleyes:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
ST3500641AS-RK is the 7200.9 SATA Fry's are clearing out inventory on this discontinued model.

A = PATA
AS = SATA
-RK = Retail kit (means it comes in a box)

You have to watch out for retail kits because often, (but not in this case) they are sold with a 1 year warranty rather than the full 5 years. Common with Maxtor drives, this.

antonwalker

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
Do you get 500gb because its a sweet spot in price. I dont think I would ever use 2 tera's of HD space. Are you going to make a raid 0 configuration or something.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Yes For The Price

Do you get 500gb because its a sweet spot in price. I dont think I would ever use 2 tera's of HD space. Are you going to make a raid 0 configuration or something.
Yes. I've been waiting for this price for quite a while. I'm just entering HDV work so will need lots of space. I'll be setting up a RAID in the Dual Clovertown-Quad Mac Pro with two of them for testing an internal RAID with On-Air and the Intensity cards.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Must...resist...uuugghgh....

To try to restrain myself, I've set the personal goal of not buying 500GB hard drives until these Seagates hit $99. I did the same thing when 400GB drives first hit $99 on sale about 7 months ago.

These are great drives though, and that's a really good deal. I've only got about 70% of my 1.6 TB file server full though.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
There must be a reason why these drives are this cheap. I notice Seagates generally sell for less than WD, and I hear they're quite noisy. I have 3 WDs in my Mac Pro and so far no complaints. They're superquiet. Compusa is selling WD 500GB SATA drives for $170 (albeit after a $30 rebate). The only reason I'm not buying is that, with only one bay left open, I'm waiting for WD to come out with a 750GB model. It would be a steal at around $300!

james9631

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2007
Thanks for that info Multimedia! I went straight to the store and picked one up. Now I need to find an enclosure.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
There must be a reason why these drives are this cheap. I notice Seagates generally sell for less than WD, and I hear they're quite noisy.

Not at all. My Seagates are at least as quiet as my Western Digitals (I own about a dozen hard drives total right now), and they sure as hell are a lot more reliable. I have a stack of 22 dead hard drives in my closet right now, and almost half of them are Western Digitals. The runners up (in number of failures) are IBM/Hitachi, followed by Quantum, followed by Maxtor, followed by Seagate (only one). It seems there are two schools of WD drives -- you either get ones that croak hard, or you get ones that literally run forever. Most of my friends share my hatred of and experience with Western Digital, and will never buy them again. One of my buddies, however, swears by them, and has had a 2GB WD drive running in a Linux computer he uses as a router for a decade.

Add WD's massive failure rate in with their measly 1 year warranty, and I'll take a Seagate and their 5-year warranty any day. In fact, since I started buying exclusively Seagate drives about two years ago (when I had three WD hard drives fail in less than two months and decided I was finally through with them) it has been so nice to not have to deal with RMAs and storage failures -- I have not lost a single drive in my servers.

Last month, though, the two remaining WD drives I owned died -- one was a 120GB external 3.5", and the other was a 20GB 2.5" laptop drive.

EDIT: Also, akadmon, 500GB WD SATA drives are on sale pretty much every other week at NewEgg for $140 or so, if you are still interested in picking some up.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
500GB WD SATA drives are on sale pretty much every other week at NewEgg for $140 or so, if you are still interested in picking some up.

Thanks for the tip! The one's selling at this price are labeled OEM. The Retail drive is priced double OEM! What am I giving up by buying OEM? Also, there are several 500 GB SATA WDs on NewEgg, all with different model codes. The differences between these drives are not apparent from the descriptions.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
What am I giving up by buying OEM?

Pretty packaging. On other equipment you might also have a different warranty, but in this case the warranty is the same.

Also, there are several 500 GB SATA WDs on NewEgg, all with different model codes. The differences between these drives are not apparent from the descriptions.

I'd probably just start Googling the model numbers, see what you get. I'll take a look.

EDIT: This one just taught me something new...that Western Digital's "SE16" line is their high-performance line and now features a 3-year warranty instead of the one year on their normal stuff. Still not as good as Seagate's 5 year, but much better than before. That model is also SATA-II (3.0 Gbps), so it's pretty much the best you can get right now. If you're a WD fan, that's a hell of a deal.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
EDIT: This one just taught me something new...that Western Digital's "SE16" line is their high-performance line and now features a 3-year warranty instead of the one year on their normal stuff. Still not as good as Seagate's 5 year, but much better than before. That model is also SATA-II (3.0 Gbps), so it's pretty much the best you can get right now. If you're a WD fan, that's a hell of a deal.

Actually this one has a 5 year warranty. The description has a blurb about the drive being "RAID specific". Does this mean it will not work as a stand-alone drive?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Actually this one has a 5 year warranty. The description has a blurb about the drive being "RAID specific". Does this mean it will not work as a stand-alone drive?

That's the enterprise line (which has always had a 5-year warranty). From what I understand, it will work standalone but has additional overhead for handling error correcting in a RAID configuration. Most people don't buy those unless they're specifically getting them for a large RAID configuration.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
FYI the 7200.9's "regular" drives. The 7200.10's are perpendicular ( as has been pointed out ). They can be faster, but they are have some QC issues with noise, heat, and performance.

Both are a good deal for the price these days. Just a few months ago I picked up 2x samsung spinpoints for 150 each.

antonwalker

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
There must be a reason why these drives are this cheap. I notice Seagates generally sell for less than WD, and I hear they're quite noisy. I have 3 WDs in my Mac Pro and so far no complaints. They're superquiet. Compusa is selling WD 500GB SATA drives for $170 (albeit after a $30 rebate). The only reason I'm not buying is that, with only one bay left open, I'm waiting for WD to come out with a 750GB model. It would be a steal at around $300!

WD wøøt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.