okay, full spec, here we go...

iBook G4 1Ghz
12" Screen
768Mb RAM
40Gb HDD
Combo Drive
10.3.9 Panther
And Airport Extreme, and bluetooth

was looking at £700ish, or nearest offer.

t.

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
Price seems a bit high i guess, give me a price you are willing to pay then...

Winstonp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
any applecare?

interested in trading for my machine?

I'll be in london, then leeds, then glasgow starting next week

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
Winstonp said:
any applecare?

interested in trading for my machine?

I'll be in london, then leeds, then glasgow starting next week
no applecare, and i'm sorry, but your machine isn't powerful enough for what i need.

I am willing to sell only really, but try me for trades.

t.

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
Daveway said:
Your price is a bit steep (US $1300). iBooks just like yours are going for about US$850-$900 on ebay.
Yeh, i realised. That's why I'm asking what people are willing to pay...

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
I'm willing to pay £0 down, and then £0 a month for a really long time.

hehe

In all seriousness, I'd love to take this baby off your hands. I'm guessing my £500 budget is a little low though no?

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Daveway said:
Your price is a bit steep (US $1300). iBooks just like yours are going for about US$850-$900 on ebay.
Your translation isn't exactly valid though, as the UK prices are always higher. The second hand value is based on the original price. Though you're right that the depreciation will be the same on both sides of the pond, you won't find an iBook like his going for £400-450 in the UK.

The original price for that machine would have been near enough £1000 (my sig should tell you how I know this :)) so a little international perspective is required.

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
thequicksilver said:
Your translation isn't exactly valid though, as the UK prices are always higher. The second hand value is based on the original price. Though you're right that the depreciation will be the same on both sides of the pond, you won't find an iBook like his going for £400-450 in the UK.

The original price for that machine would have been near enough £1000 (my sig should tell you how I know this :)) so a little international perspective is required.
In which case £700 doesn't sound so incredibly unreasonable.

t.

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
Okay, it seems lots of people have looked, but have not liked the price?

I'm thinking maybe £610 now?

t.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
If it is worth that much in the U.K, then sell it on the U.K section of ebay. I think anything over 800 US is pretty steep, just some constructive criticism

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
I don't think $800 is too fair, because the price on ebay for a laptop of my spec looks to be 500-700. Therfore £610 sounds perfectly reasonable to me, but I am open to negototiation like removing memory to bring the price down, if you are interested.

t.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
A brand spanking new ibook 12" with tiger, airport, bluetooth, 60 gig hard drive (40gig option no longer available), and extra ram from crucial would come out to roughly £840. so £610 is a bargain, but i agree with people who said £700 was a bit steep.

If I were you I'd definately try my luck on e bay, I've seen stuff going for stupid prices on there. It's just not a second hand buyers market in the UK at the moment, bargains are hard to come by. I dont know if its pc users switching or what, but there is definately a trend towards people paying over the odds for second hand apple gear in the UK. Just make sure you have pictures, a lengthy description and a five day auction, and im sure you'll do well.

If you were selling this two weeks ago I'd have snapped it up for my mates mother, but shes bought some pc piece of crap. I've already refused to help her when it goes wrong! good luck selling.

Jay

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
thanks for the advice, I shall put it on ebay soon.

I'd still rather it went to someone with a direct price and without all of the paypal fees, but Oh well, it looks like its heading towards that no matter what.

t.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
if you have a copy of tiger, try putting that on it. it will boost the price. just state in the message that your not sending the disks

jay

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
j_maddison said:
if you have a copy of tiger, try putting that on it. it will boost the price. just state in the message that your not sending the disks

jay
sell an illegal product? Or do you mean buy a cheap copy?

t.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Hell no, I mean buy a cheap copy! A few are floating around on the net. Just dont pay over the odds for it. And you can then keep the copy for your self!

Jason

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
j_maddison said:
Hell no, I mean buy a cheap copy! A few are floating around on the net. Just dont pay over the odds for it. And you can then keep the copy for your self!

Jason
So i sell the legal one, and then keep an illegal version? correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought it was one Mac per OS box.

t.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
As far as I'm aware, if you have one copy of tiger and put it on your mac while you own it, its perfectly legal. If you sell that computer and the person doesnt remove it, then that is their problem not yours. I think you'll find no one will take anyone to court over this. Its not like your putting it on five or six computers in your household or your mates computers etc.

I think you can be a stickler for the rules or you can look to the spirit of them. Its up to you, but I wouldnt have a conciounce about it. Alot of people leave their photoshop software etc on macs when they sell them, but dont send the disks. They keep the disks for their new mac.

jay

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
Reanimation_LP said:
What he is describing here is aganist forum rules. You could end up banned for doing that.
me thinks it would be better to purchase a new version of tiger for myself, and not change the old one at all. And i don't have any disks to start off with, so i would buy tiger for my old one, and then continue with my current system on the new one.

t.

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
Okay, price drop. £610 with 768Mb of memory, and £500 without.

This price includes all of the original boxes and cables etc.

And a 12" tucano second skin.

t.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
you can get a new ibook from apple for 1250 CAD, if i am correct your 500 pounds works out to 1150 or so, 100 more dollars and you can get a newer one.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
wnameth said:
you can get a new ibook from apple for 1250 CAD, if i am correct your 500 pounds works out to 1150 or so, 100 more dollars and you can get a newer one.
One thing your forgetting, he's not in Canada, He's in the UK. In the UK thats a pretty good deal for a current model. The only people who wouldnt think so are those who can get an edu discount from their university network. Hmm then again, I think even a student would still think this is a good deal.

Jay

p.s e-bay it, I'm sure you'll get a really good price on e bay

Teeolee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
UK
j_maddison said:
p.s e-bay it, I'm sure you'll get a really good price on e-bay
I'm tempted too, but i'm wondering whether to buy a mac mini and keep the ibook, or sell the ibook, not get the mac mini, but get a 15" powerbook.

t.