FS: Less than week old 12" G4 iBook 1.2GHz w/ 768MB RAM and more

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I just got this computer today, but it looks like I did not do enough research before buying it. I need a computer that can output to an external monitor without splitting the ram between the laptop and external monitor. This means I will have to get a powerbook. The specs are...

1.2GHz G4 CPU

768MB DDR RAM

12" Display at 1024x768

32MB ATI Radeon 9200 AGP Graphics

30GB Hard Drive

Airport Extreme

MAC OS X Panther with all updates installed

I had ram upgraded but I will include it for free. Rather than paying the restocking fee to apple, I would just prefer to sell it here for a discount and save someone some money. I would like to get around $1000 for it (memory included) but that price is flexible. If interested please e-mail me at chris.hadley@valpo.edu and we can talk more. Thanks :)

Laptop is less than a day old as of this posting and was purchased from the apple online store.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
m a y a said:
You do know that you have 2-4 weeks to get an exchange right. :)
Really! Can I exchange for a different item and not have to pay the restock fee?? tht would be perfect... Any help you can give me would be great. Thanks maya... you know your mac stuff.

jsklar

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2005
i'm interested...

in the event you can't do the exchange i'd be interested in paying around 1000 for it... does it have bluetooth? can that be added on later?

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
jsklar said:
in the event you can't do the exchange i'd be interested in paying around 1000 for it... does it have bluetooth? can that be added on later?
Hi. I am checking on the exchange thing today when I get off work. It does not have bluetooth built in but you add it via a USB adapter for about $30-40 depending on where you buy it. I will let you know what apple says and then we can talk about the sale. Thanks :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
BTO's to my knowledge can not be returned or exchanged. If they can it is a 10% restocking fee. Given that you want to move up, I hope that Apple will do the right thing for you.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Chip NoVaMac said:
BTO's to my knowledge can not be returned or exchanged. If they can it is a 10% restocking fee. Given that you want to move up, I hope that Apple will do the right thing for you.
This is very true. Fortunalty, I added the memory after buying the computer. If you have a BTO on order and you cancel it before it ships then you can still cancel the order. However, once a BTO item is shipped the only way to return it is in the event it is broken. Thanks for the advice tho :) It would suck if I had done BTO on the iBook .... :cool:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Chrispy said:
This is very true. Fortunalty, I added the memory after buying the computer. If you have a BTO on order and you cancel it before it ships then you can still cancel the order. However, once a BTO item is shipped the only way to return it is in the event it is broken. Thanks for the advice tho :) It would suck if I had done BTO on the iBook .... :cool:
Good to hera, though it sucks that you might face a choice about a restocking fee.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Chrispy said:
Chrispy, PM me I shall tell you how? ;) :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
m a y a said:
Last thing we need is a flood of people returning stuff they bought from Apple. ;) :)

If you need the info ask in a private manner. :)
Cool, I understand. But from my consumer friendly point of view this should not be a secret that is shared among the few.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
In this case, I can't see why Apple wouldn't take it back and overlook any "restocking" fee, since your intent is to get a faster (and more expensive) powerbook. If they give you difficulty, just remind them of this fact.

Or were you looking to get the powerbook from somewhere else?

IMO, I think restocking fees are a rip-off and should be legislated against.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
kingjr3 said:
In this case, I can't see why Apple wouldn't take it back and overlook any "restocking" fee, since your intent is to get a faster (and more expensive) powerbook. If they give you difficulty, just remind them of this fact.

Or were you looking to get the powerbook from somewhere else?

IMO, I think restocking fees are a rip-off and should be legislated against.
You have not owned or run a business have you. :) Though I believe its unfair to pay for this fee, there is fair reason why its instated. :)

Then again if you have the "inside information" you would not be complaining. ;) :)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
m a y a said:
You have not owned or run a business have you. :) Though I believe its unfair to pay for this fee, there is fair reason why its instated. :)

Then again if you have the "inside information" you would not be complaining. ;) :)
No. I haven't run a retail business, since what I sell is a service (consulting). But I do not understand is how it costs $200+ to restock a computer. Sure someone has to receive and review the items contents and sometime they may have to resell it as refurbished, but $200?!??!?! Thats excessive.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
kingjr3 said:
No. I haven't run a retail business, since what I sell is a service (consulting). But I do not understand is how it costs $200+ to restock a computer. Sure someone has to receive and review the items contents and sometime they may have to resell it as refurbished, but $200?!??!?! Thats excessive.
Usually its a percentage not a fixed amount since all products do not cost 1000+.

So you are wrong in that regard. Would you pay 200 USD RSF for a 50 USD product. :)

Consultant also have fees when clients back out, its a contract not sure if you have that in place. However all it means is that your time and efforts are not wasted. <--- same reasoning. :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
kingjr3 said:
The issue is that it takes a certain numbers of "hours" to make sure that it is ready for resell. At the same point consumers wants a "bargain" on something that is "used".

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
m a y a said:
Usually its a percentage not a fixed amount since all products do not cost 1000+.

So you are wrong in that regard. Would you pay 200 USD RSF for a 50 USD product. :)

Consultant also have fees when clients back out, its a contract not sure if you have that in place. However all it means is that your time and efforts are not wasted. <--- same reasoning. :)
My example was pointed. You see why is it any more difficult to restock say a $100 router (thinking of something with as much crap as a laptop), or a $2000 laptop computer. They would both require almost the same amount of hours, but one you would pay $10 and the other $200 - the reasoning defeats me. In fact, it seems I am not alone as restocking fees are becoming quite the complaint with the BBB to the point that the BBB suggests you ask about restocking fees before buying - a quick search of google will support that.

lfielder06

Dec 5, 2004
A restocking fee is also to cover them due to the fact that they must turn around and discount it. They lose money in people hours of restocking and with selling it as a used or refurbished item. I see the point of a restocking fee but like Maya has stated there are ways around it. :) :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
lfielder06 said:
A restocking fee is also to cover them due to the fact that they must turn around and discount it. They lose money in people hours of restocking and with selling it as a used or refurbished item. I see the point of a restocking fee but like Maya has stated there are ways around it. :) :)
Someone else in the "inside circle". ;) :)

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
down the street

Chris! the above post is correct, dont do this to yourself! heh.. and my subject comes from the fact that i live right down the road from you in Hobart. I actually was going to ask you if i could buy your iBook too, but then i remembered reading an article related to the ware above. good to see apple users in the region. PM sometime we can swap local apple news.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
cyanide said:
Chris! the above post is correct, dont do this to yourself! heh.. and my subject comes from the fact that i live right down the road from you in Hobart. I actually was going to ask you if i could buy your iBook too, but then i remembered reading an article related to the ware above. good to see apple users in the region. PM sometime we can swap local apple news.
Thanks for the info all. Unfortunatly, the monitor spanning hack still splits the ram 16MB and 16MB. Clamshell mode refuses to work and even if it did I would never risk overheating the ibook. I have come across so tricks that work for OS 10.2 but nothing for Panther. No matter what the second display is always detected. This would not be a problem but I do some video work and I have the external monitor set at 1280 x 1024 so I experience slowdows :-( Plus the 19" monitor I want to use is DVI and I do not want to pay a lot for an adapter. However, I must say the hack did work perfeclty for spanning the display... but at the expense of cutting my graphics memory in half. The laptop is still in my posession and the offer from above is still on the table in anyone is really interested. Thanks again all.