FTC sues AT&T over deceptive data throttling for Unlimited Plan customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arun21, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arun21 macrumors member

Great news! Hope this has some effect on the way we can also use tethering.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Great news? Wait until they stop offering unlimited to grandfathered customers the next time they upgrade.

3. vitacura macrumors regular

Seems a lot of Unlimited Data plan users jumped in favor of the double data promotion. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

4. flashflooder macrumors regular

Bingo. This is way more likely than them making any concessions.

5. myztikal47 macrumors regular

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Finally, I knew there was a reason AT&T was trying to get everyone to move off their unlimited data. EFF YOU ATT!!!!! I'm so unbelievably happy right now.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

So it'll be like Verizon. I'd rather have true unlimited than subsidized upgrades. If you're okay with less data, just move to a mobile share plan.

I doubt ATT will force customers off the plans completely. They know the only thing keeping many of us loyal is the unlimited data

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

That I can see happening from this.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

My guess is that they will reach some settlement in which AT&T, like Verizon, agrees not to throttle (or at least raises the threshold above some of their tiered plans). I doubt they will change their tethering policy. VZW charges $30 extra to add tethering to a UDP.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

I tend to buy off-contract phones. What will be interesting is if they make customers decide between a $25/month discount (on the Next plans) or unlimited data. But at least that would be a fairer comparison.

10. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Most I see coming of this is now you will get a big red warning that you will be throttled when you renew your UDP. The data is still unlimited, just at reduced speeds.

Perhaps AT&T will be forced to refund the ETF to those who were charged to quit over the change in terms.

11. spiderpumpkin macrumors member

I'd pay full price for a phone just so I could keep my grandfathered unlimited data.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.