Full Mac Setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattweimer, Nov 25, 2009.

1. mattweimer macrumors newbie

I have been to the site many times but never posted. Figured I could get some input here.

Here is what I already own:

MBP 13"
    ATV 40gb
    40" 1080p Samsung LCD
    Slim PS2
    iPhone
    750gb External
    5.1 Samsung Receiver Kit
    ( The PS3, Tv, Receiver all have Anynet* , Turn on and off at the same time )

What I want to do is make it so all media runs through iTunes ( I have a ton of media including movies, tv shows, music etc...) and make it so I can play one PS3 in my living room and bedroom. This is all just food for thought really, if any one wants to reply, great.

I was thinking doing an Airport Extreme base station with a Drobo ( 4 TB's ). Using a MacMini for my main TV with Apple Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard. ( All files being downloaded on the MacMini ) Keeping the ATV in my bedroom hooked up to a 22"-24" Monitor ( is this possible to hook up the ATV to a " Computer Monitor " ). I would want to have the same save files on my PS3 running into the bedroom monitor, so I was considering just putting a hole in the base of the and running a HDMI through with possibly a HDMI switch. If any of this makes sense please put some input or any ideas I am open to anything. Also, I want to keep all movies on the Drobo and put Alias's on iTunes on the MacMini, both accessible by the ATV and MBP. Will I need to convert all files to .mp4? If so, whats the absolute best quality to get, I tried recently and it seemed grainy. Sorry if I rambled, just had a bit of time on my hands.

2. mattweimer thread starter macrumors newbie

Also could anyone enlighten me on having a Dual-Band setup router. What would be the benefits in this situation.

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

:apple:TV will connect to a computer monitor as long as it has an HDMI input, but it'll look like crap unless the monitor is 1920x1080.

I've attached a guide for using an iTunes server. Just imagine the Drobo as the server.

If you want the files to play on an iPod, then (AFAIK) they should be .mp4.

A dual-band router allows two frequencies to be broadcast at the same time, which means you can have 802.11n on (IIRC) 5 GHz and 802.11g/b/a on 2.4 GHz. So basically you can use non-N devices on the network without slowing the N devices down.

Attached Files:

4. mattweimer thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok cool. So as far as switch the PS3 between the TV and Monitor in the bedroom, really the only way is running an HDMI cable through the wall? My MBP and possibly MacMini would be the only unit's running on the 'N' network right? Rest would be on b,g,a or whichever? Is my idea possible with two ATV's or need to have one ATV and MacMini for the master computer...? Thanks for the help!

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

What do you mean about running a cable through the wall?

As long as you've got at least one computer (i.e. your MBP) to manage the network and iTunes settings, then you can have two :apple:TVs. Keep in mind though, the Mac mini is many times more customizable and if you can get Plex working properly, it is quite rewarding.

I'd look on eBay for early Core 2 Duo minis if you want to go with Plex.

6. mattweimer thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I was referring to the possibility of running one PS3 on two different TV's or monitors. Just sorta thinking out loud. I've used before on my MBP but didn't really tinker with it too much, could it access the Drobo attached to the Airport Extreme? Also would the AE have a strong enough single to maintain all of it?

7. mattweimer thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You're not going to get a PS3 on two TVs at the same time. It just won't work.

As for accessing the Drobo, as long as it's plugged into an ethernet port, you should be able to use it like a server (i.e. cmd+K, enter IP address, etc). You just need to tell Plex where to look.

And the AirPort Extreme will definitely have a strong enough signal to reach everything, unless you've got a really big house.

9. mattweimer thread starter macrumors newbie