Full price iPhone 5S purchase from Verizon with one-time upgrade fee?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aajeevlin, Sep 20, 2013.

1. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this thread is a repeat. But I have googled around and have not been able to find the exact answer that I'm looking for. So basically when I'm trying to order the 5s from apple store online, and going through the process then having the system telling me that I have to pay the full price and all. But at the very end of the page it says that "Verizon will bill you for a one-time upgrade fee of $30". Do you guys know if this is a standard thing that apple just put on their website to let people know(as a warning), or is Verizon really going to charge me $30 dollars for buying a phone at full price(basically not changing my plan at all)?

I'm confused about this.

2. mac.cali macrumors 65816

No upgrade fee will be charged if purchasing at full retail price.

3. redshadow macrumors member

It's not really an upgrade fee so much as an activation fee. Verizon used to require you to call and have them activate the phone. Nt sure if it holds true today but most times if you call and ask them to waive it...they will

4. aajeevlin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see, well in that case this is worst than getting hit by an upgrade fee then. At least with an upgrade fee they are "sort of" doing something for you. This is just me buying a phone and want to switch the service over...

5. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Thats odd I didn't get charged when I paid for my iPhone 5 at full retail when I got it last year. Maybe a new thing?

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Maybe is because they have to load your new phone into the system?

7. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Can you buy it through Apple and not have Verizon activate it then call and have them activate it when it comes in? That's what I did.

8. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

I think this is new. Last year, I bought 2 phones - one full retail,1 upgrade. I only paid the "upgrade fee" on the subsidized one.

This year, they seem to be calling it an "activation fee" to add any device to any line, whether you pay retail or not.

9. aajeevlin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess you could call to convince them that this is a BS fee, and you want them to waive it. But activate online and activate over the phone is still an upgrade.

10. christof macrumors 6502

I purchased full price, thought I saw the fee when I was checking out, but don't see it in my email conformation. My company discount also provides no fee upgrades, however.

11. aajeevlin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I'm just going to get it and not think so much, it's just annoying. Because last year, I upgraded two lines and the upgrade fee for one showed up right away, and one of them didn't show up until the next cycle. These greedy companies are getting very annoying.

I still have about a year with Verizon, after that we will see how the industory is like. I like Verizon, but I won't mind leaving it to save a few dollars.