Full price iPhone 6s+ AT&T and want to sell my old phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by armandxp, Sep 12, 2015.

1. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

I purchased a full price iPhone 6s+ from Apple on Saturday. My old 6+ is still under contract till April 2016. I usually sell my old phone and upgrade using a 2 year agreement with no problems. This year I bought the phone full price and still would like to sell my old one. Will I have any problems selling my old 6+ to someone? Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Any help?

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

I think you are going to have to switch to Next. Otherwise, you would have to pay the ETF to get out of the contract on the old phone. I THINK they will wave the ETF if you switch to Next. You don't want to be on a contract plan if bought the phone outright because your monthly bill will be higher.

4. chiawen.yang macrumors member

Simple logic:

Is the 2 year contract a monthly payment plan on the iPhone 6 plus itself like the AT&T next program: pay off the phone before selling it. As long as there is a "mortgage" on the phone, you need to clear it before selling

Or

Is the 2 year contract on the wireless service, you having a subsidized phone: sell it because the contract is tied to your wireless service not phone because your phone has been technically paid in full.

5. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Once you activate the 6s your 6 will be deactivated so I see no issues selling it. AT&T is still going to get the remaining subsidy on it till the end of your contract.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This, but there is nothing like paying a subsidy AND paying for the phone. That is 2 payments for 1 phone.:eek:

7. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

True, but selling the old phone would allow you to come closer to breaking even.

8. bronzi macrumors member

I think each situation is unique to persons current plan. Actually if on a 2yr you can sell (Gazelle paying $336 for 16gig 6) and then apply that against non-subsidy phone, which I am going to do. Plus, You can still change your plan(I'm finally giving up unlimited) and reduce your bill. I can reduce mine straight out by ~$30/mo ($360/yr) so actually breaking even, slightly ahead ($360+$336= $696 + what I'd spend to get 64 gig anyway $399 for 2 years on contract) AND can leave ATT if I want to in the future way before 2 years. So I'm not paying for both. You're getting ripped off if you're on 2 year contract AND don't upgrade every 2 years since your monthly bill doesn't go down after phone is "technically" paid off.

9. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

Assuming you own your old iPhone outright, call AT&T and request that it be unlocked. Looks like you don't own it outright. You could call and pay the early termination fee and then have it unlocked. You should get more for an unlocked phone. But you'll have to do the math.

10. Roller macrumors 68020

I think that you need to talk to someone at AT&T to determine your options for unlocking/owning/selling your phone. Things will be confusing as long as we're in the transition between the old subsidized contract model and the new installment model. Apple's adoption of the latter complicates the situation further, as do the carriers' imposition of additional line charges, which is especially important for multiple-phone plans.

11. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Like what everyone has said here - if you got your 6+ on a 2 year subsidized play, you should be able to sell it after you've plopped your SIM card into the new 6S+. From there, you can sell your old 6+ as a "AT&T ONLY" phone. Of course, that means you'll have a much narrow and less valued phone. You can contact AT&T and see what you can do about unlocking. Rather than saying you're selling the phone, say you're traveling out of the country.

If you're on a AT&T Next program, you'll want to read on what the rules says. They may require you to stay on the same device through the life of the "contract".

12. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Yes you can absolutely sell your old one. I've done it every year for several years. I am doing just that....signing up for the Apple Upgrade Program and selling my 6 plus that I am only a year into my contract with. I bought my iPhone 6 plus for the $399 and I guarantee I'll get more for it on CL when I sell it....I've always made a profit.

But gone are the days of this....I am letting all 5 of my lines expire and just stick with the upgrade program, easy peasy!

13. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Thanks for all the good advice! I always sell my iPhone a few days before the new one comes out, most of the time. When I get the new one, it's always been under a 'new' two year contract. So, I guess I never had a problem before with that. This time I'm buying a full price one from Apple, and I understand that I'm still under a two year contract with my phone line till April 2016, but I wasn't 100% sure that would affect my old phone that I'll sell in a couple weeks, when the new one comes in. I'll call them and make sure, after I get the new phone in.

I should only have to switch SIM cards I would think and let them update it on ATT's end with the new phone info. Just don't want to be stuck waiting till April 2016 to sell my old phone, that would suck. I doubt they will unlock it till after that date. You have to fill out a form online and wait a few days to see if they approve it. I've tried doing it before for a friend and never got anywhere with it, and ATT will not discuss anything about it over the phone, have to use the website they give you. So, tired of ATT after all these years of trying to get a new phone on the first day and they don't have stock ready online. Same thing happened last year and was on their website 15 minutes before the sell was supposed to go live. Didn't get the phone until Oct. 10th, which made it make my agreement date, that much later.

Next plans do not work for me. May eventually have to get a new plan, but I pay $39.99 for 450 minutes (which I never use), $10 for unlimited text (they dropped the price from $20 for me last year), and $30 for unlimited data. So with a company discount I pay less then $80 for my one line that works for me. I don't have anyone else to shack up with to get a better price option for more lines. Tried before with friends, then they pay late, etc. Happy with my simple plan.

Thanks all!

14. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

I believe your second one is the correct one for me. I'm have a subsidized phone, and will continue my contract till at least April 2016 when it ends. I think this is why it's always worked for me. I've always been under a sub. contract. Thanks!

15. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

ATT is still doing 2 year contracts, through ATT only direct. Will def. change soon in the future, but you don't have to do NEXT, you can sign a new 2 year contract when getting a phone under subsidy.

16. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

You absolutely can sell the phone! It is yours! You bought the phone at a subsidized cost so therefore you are essentially paying for it in your plan. When you get new one you just swap the SIM! Done it for every single iPhone! And no they will not unlock it until the full contract is satisfied.

I have sold every single iPhone and broke even for what I paid and most of the time I profited!

Good luck!