Full Size Contact Photos in iOS6 Not Showing up

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by CotaFloata, Oct 12, 2012.

1. CotaFloata macrumors newbie

Big pet peeve here...

My contact pictures are all showing up as thumbnails when i'm on a call. Worse than that is that they are all pixelated. When I go to edit the photo in my contacts, it is pixelated and cropped differently from what I originally set it to. No matter how many times I try to edit the photo or choose another, it always ends up a blurry thumbnail.

I know Facebook contacts will go to thumbnails but I have several that I like to set from my camera roll that should show up as full screen and do not. This has only happened to me since I installed iOS 6.

Any thoughts?

2. rrandyy macrumors 6502

The size of the photo depends on where the contact is stored. If it is local, you will get a large picture. If the contact is stored remotely (eg with google contacts) then the image will be small.

3. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

I can bet good money you are syncing to Gmail Contacts ... Google has a long history of this problem ... lower res contacts on mobiles ...

AFAIK, this problem is only with Google and FB ... iCloud, Local and Exchange Services don't have this issue.

4. CotaFloata thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought of this too, all my contacts are stored on iCloud and exchange however.

5. SpiritsFade macrumors newbie

I had this issue. I was syncing gmail contacts with exchange. I had to remove my sync and manually manage my contacts by exporting them from gmail then importing them from my windows contacts application. Getting big pictures now. Let me know if you need more help

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

All my contacts and their respective images are on iCloud and my iPhone. However since iOS6 when a call comes in I only get a thumbnail in the upper right of the lock screen. Has nothing to do with google.

7. SnowDX macrumors 6502

This is happening to me too. And it's also displaying the Facebook thumbnail when they call initially even though I have not said to use the Facebook photo (and at some point switches back to the pic I've chosen).

I haven't tried choosing a different photo yet as I cleared off my photos when I upgraded phones so have no new pics of these people.

8. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I just figured out that you now have to copy the pictures to your device and then add/edit the contact in the Contacts app for a full image to appear. WOW are you kidding me??

So if I have to delete my iCloud account for whatever reason I will lose these again? I had to post the images to my photo stream and then edit on my iPhone. THIS IS CRAP!!

9. bripab007 macrumors 6502

It's actually been that way as long as I can remember. iOS 2.x, 3.x, 4.x, etc.

10. micahjo macrumors newbie

Do you then have to keep the photos in your gallery, or can you delete them once you add them to a contact?

11. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Well that's not true (for me). When I transferred from google to iCloud I imported all my contacts into iCloud.com - then I edited each contact's picture on iCloud.com and they automatically appeared full screen.

What I did find now is that if I edit or add contact pictures via my Mac or iCloud I have to edit them on my iPhone so they work on the lock screen.