Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Full Video of Apple's Chicago Education Event Now Available on Apple TV

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2018
America
I know I'm in the minority on the forums for this, but I get a kick out of those ads like Homework.
I enjoy their ads too and their overall keynote presentations, even if there are some awkward moments. They’re always good at presenting their products in an appealing way IMO.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I know I'm in the minority on the forums for this, but I get a kick out of those ads like Homework.
I can see where it my be entertaining. But I don’t think it’s too realistic.

Anyway, schools been over for me for a long time. I might care some time down the road if my wife and I have children.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I can see where it my be entertaining. But I don’t think it’s too realistic.

Anyway, schools been over for me for a long time. I might care some time down the road if my wife and I have children.

I think they are realistic in you can do the things that they show you doing on them. I do them on my iPad almost daily, at least the "What's a computer?" one. Whether schools support these things on a policy and technical level, I don't know. When I was last in public school, we still used typewriters so I don't know what schools support for tech.

Astray aside, I got a kick out of the Homework piece.

oyabroch!

Suspended
Jan 8, 2018
[doublepost=1522197537][/doublepost]
You mean you’re NOT happy with just some colored accessories?

I sense a lot of disappointment in this forum. You should go check out iMore—as usual, Rene Ritchie is super stoked. Maybe some his enthusiasm will run off on you folks.

Rene is obsessive to the point of it being extremely concerning. Does he have NOTHING in his life except buying, trying and blabbing on about Apple stuff? What a boring, narrow life.

I don't understand the infantalised modern world, where GROWN MEN Fawn and dribble over "super heroes" and comic books, it's worrying and to be blunt, pathetic.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I think they are realistic in you can do the things that they show you doing on them. I do them on my iPad almost daily, at least the "What's a computer?" one. Whether schools support these things on a policy and technical level, I don't know. When I was last in public school, we still used typewriters so I don't know what schools support for tech.

Astray aside, I got a kick out of the Homework piece.
I didn't have an email address until my junior year of college and used true word processors, so this stuff is foreign to me.

I do know I would screw around immensely if I had an iPad as a child.
[doublepost=1522198909][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1522197537][/doublepost]

Rene is obsessive to the point of it being extremely concerning. Does he have NOTHING in his life except buying, trying and blabbing on about Apple stuff? What a boring, narrow life.

I don't understand the infantalised modern world, where GROWN MEN Fawn and dribble over "super heroes" and comic books, it's worrying and to be blunt, pathetic.
All of that is accurate with respect to Rene---fits him like a T. Lol. Sometimes I listen to him defend Apple on MacBreak Weekly and I just shake my head. The comic and Star Wars references are particularly obnoxious. The other guests are probably all "what the f....?"

macmanmass

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
What innovations do you want to see from an iPad? I ask that honestly, not sarcastically. I keep seeing people post about not innovating and such... but never any ideas about how it could be better or what they want to see.
You amuse me.

oyabroch!

Suspended
Jan 8, 2018
I didn't have an email address until my junior year of college and used true word processors, so this stuff is foreign to me.

[doublepost=1522198909][/doublepost]
All of that is accurate with respect to Rene---fits him like a T. Lol. Sometimes I listen to him defend Apple on MacBreak Weekly and I just shake my head. The comic and Star Wars references are particularly obnoxious. The other guests are probably all "what the f....?"

I listened to MBW religiously on and off, for almost 3 years. I got tired of it mid-2017, never anything fresh or of any significant revelation, just a group of friends blathering on as they paw over the "news" which any other schmuck can find online, and has probably already read inside out. VERY little Mac news - Leo and Alex appear to be the most sane, grounded, adult of the group, (Alex has SUCH a diverse, interesting life, it's almost to the point where I feel sorry for the others when he talks about his ACTUALLY VERY VERY INTERESTING LIFE, compared to the clique-y, superficial guff they're spewing) and manage to talk about things OUTSIDE APPLE - things which are ACTUALLY interesting, whereas dear Andy (and he is a nice man, a dear chap) and Rene just blabber on about iOS and their circle of private friends and how many comics & watch bands they've collected... so what?

Andy is a nice chap. although some of his tweets are beyond pointless and throwaway, like telling us what donut he's currently favoured... SO WHAT?

I can handle "Security Now" with ease, once in a while, because Steve Gibson is INCREDIBLY intelligent, above and beyond the realms of the likes of what most could DREAM of (a little like Sheldon, from BBT?) and is a thoroughly nice, sincere, experienced, mature and well rounded chap with a simple, honest sense of humour. I can handle Steve anytime, and usually Leo.

Anyway, I digressed... oops!

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I listened to MBW religiously on and off, for almost 3 years. I got tired of it mid-2017, never anything fresh or of any significant revelation, just a group of friends blathering on as they paw over the "news" which any other schmuck can find online, and has probably already read inside out. VERY little Mac news - Leo and Alex appear to be the most sane, grounded, adult of the group, (Alex has SUCH a diverse, interesting life, it's almost to the point where I feel sorry for the others when he talks about his ACTUALLY VERY VERY INTERESTING LIFE, compared to the clique-y, superficial guff they're spewing) and manage to talk about things OUTSIDE APPLE - things which are ACTUALLY interesting, whereas dear Andy (and he is a nice man, a dear chap) and Rene just blabber on about iOS and their circle of private friends and how many comics & watch bands they've collected... so what?

Andy is a nice chap. although some of his tweets are beyond pointless and throwaway, like telling us what donut he's currently favoured... SO WHAT?

I can handle "Security Now" with ease, once in a while, because Steve Gibson is INCREDIBLY intelligent, above and beyond the realms of the likes of what most could DREAM of (a little like Sheldon, from BBT?) and is a thoroughly nice, sincere, experienced, mature and well rounded chap with a simple, honest sense of humour. I can handle Steve anytime, and usually Leo.

Anyway, I digressed... oops!
I feel the exact same as you do about those shows. Anyway, Rene’s coverage of this event was like the second coming.

I don’t think the event on whole was for the people on these forums, unless you’re like 12 or a teacher of 12 year olds.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
51 years I have suffered from insomnia. Finally, I think this here might just be my cure.

"Only Apple can do this."

What an apocalyptic, egotistical, smug, self congratulating phrase. And people on here wonder why so many others are critical of them.

My main quarrel is why Apple chose a Chicago Public School - a system that can barely afford Teachers let alone fancy gadgets... :eek:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I think people are far too critical of Apple and Tim. Do we all miss the old Apple? Yes. But that's because they were ploughing new paths that nobody expected. It was exciting times. List 3 new features/capabilities/products that Apple could deliver today that would give you the same excitement as that? Yes, Tim has a much tougher job to keep its geek customers happy. Today's products by Apple are still engineered with the same degree to detail as ever, but they are also so much more complex internally and software-wise. It's truly a feat that things work as well as they do, and we should not ignore that.

Here's some tough news: It would be Apple's job to think of these "3 new features/capabilities/products" that would "give us the same excitement". But they're not doing doing. Instead, they've become "another IBM" and keep milking the same old cow. Now, Apple won't go away any time soon. And neither did IBM. Or Microsoft for that matter. But when was the last time anybody was excited about a new Apple/IBM/Microsoft product...? The "next big thing" won't be coming from any of the big old names, that much is certain.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
You will be playing Angry Birds all day long and learn nothing.
Probably... good point! :D
[doublepost=1522241747][/doublepost]
Got to marvel at the selfish, inward-focused attitudes of modern consumers:

"But I wanted", "I want", "That's not what I expected"... I, I, I.... me, me, me...

... when you finally wake up to yourself and grow up, and realise that life isn't centred around you and your desires, you'll finally demonstrate emotional maturity. YOUR desires don't define and encompass the desires of the greater masses.

So you wanted X, Y or Z... so what? Hard cheese, you didn't get it, now please get a grip and stop sulking like an immature brat.

What you are saying would only apply if we are getting it for free. But we are not.
if I am going to pay for something, I want it the way I want it. If it's not what I want I will not buy it.
Get it?
Unless you are one of those people who only buys a car "to go from point A to point B" and then looks for the cheapest one available with manual windows, manual transmission, no remote control, no power seats, etc., you should understand that expecting certain features from a product doesn't mean we are being Immature Brats if we are expected to pay for it.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
I've been saying since the start that the iPad is dumb, and I'm going to keep saying it now. Sales are declining; nobody uses them anymore because they realized it. Not just for education. Everyone I know owns one, and they're all sitting in drawers.
[doublepost=1522255755][/doublepost]
Apple: More status symbol and less relevance as time goes on...
The Mac is not a status symbol. It's the gold standard work machine. Not that I think a Mac will help very much with education either, other than for word processing and programming.
[doublepost=1522255960][/doublepost]
It’s kind of funny Apple are renewing their push into education considering their last attempt at pushing iPads into classrooms fell flat and was considered a failure by that school board Apple boasted had ordered so many of the things.

Will pencil make a difference?
Shoutout to Los Angeles Unified School District, who started spending $1.3B on iPads then realized it was stupid and stopped, only after wasting $100M (all of this on low quality bonds w/ high interest so really double that). I know for a fact they can't even teach algebra or grammar properly, and an iPad won't help with that.
[doublepost=1522256203][/doublepost]
Some of my younger friends got iPads in their high schools, and this is exactly the only thing they were used for.

Last edited:
Reactions: mi7chy

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
This whole thing feels like they got around the table and said, what can we pull off the shelf to announce this quarter? Hey, weren't we big with education ... five years ago? Oh yeah, let's just throw a cheaper iPad and some low hanging fruit software and the education market. Yeah, that'll keep Wall Street happy for another quarter.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I like the presentation style, highlighting the use of the Apple Pencil. Looks great.

How after shipping this functionality so late, years after Microsoft, did they not include smart objects! E.g. snpp to a circle or rectangle based on what was drawn multiple, and multiple shapes form a new one like a vent diagram? It’s sad the question is rhetorical as Apple’s software sucks and is so far behind now. But look, Animoji and Watch Bands.

The bigger problem is Apple is al let boxed out of this market. I just left an education tech conference, and all anyone talks about when selling product is compatibility with Google Classroom. You’re invisible to purchasing agents, teachers, et al. if you don’t offer that compatibility. A cheaper iPad and 89 dollar Pencil are symptoms of an out of touch education strategy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.