Fun with Network Printing and Scanning!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oli2140, Mar 19, 2008.

1. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Hi,

In the close future I will be wiring my whole house for a wired network and would like to connect my HP all-in-one printer to the network so that scanning IS possible. I understand that only printing will be possible if I was to connect it to my Time Capsule and if I was to connect it to my iMac my iMac would have to be on (and awake???) for other computers to access it. What do people recommend? I don't scan very often but I would not like to lose this functionality.

Thanks

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

The way I understand it and how it was explained to me was that unless the "all-in-one" device supported network scanning it wasn't possible. Don't quote me though.

I have the same issue. I keep the printer networked and connect via wired when scanning is needed.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's pretty much what I understand as well as I'm in the same boat. It just isn't possible unless you have a scanner that has network drivers.

4. thenewguy macrumors regular

This is what I heard as well. I was told by an Apple Engineer that Time Capsule did not use a full implementation of USB, and that's one of the problems.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

From what I understand, the only way to have that functionality using the TC is to have a printer/scanner that connects via ethernet cable to one of the TC's LAN ports. I have an Epson RX595 (USB only) and only the printing works unfortunately :( As it is, I need to disconnect the printer from the TC and attach it to my computer directly to scan.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I don't understand why anybody would want to walk X feet to a scanner. I'd much prefer to be able to just lean over and scan a document/photo and lean back to my computer.

caveat : This doesn't include scan and print.

7. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

There are some printers (HP Photosmart C7280 for example) that let you either use ethernet or wireless to connect it to the network. Then you can do your network printing and scanning.

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Physical location of the all in one and network connections to it are two different issues.

I'd like to have my all in one available for all to print to it wirelessly and to allow me to scan from it as well without moving cables. The printer would probably be sitting right next to me regardless. I guess if you can have it connected to USB to the local machine and the device has built-in wireless, then you are all set.

The other option of dual connecting to AEBS/TC with both USB and Ethernet should accomplish the same thing, right?

I have been simmering on this idea before purchasing an all in one. Right now I have 2 printers (Canon color, HP Laser) on a hub connected to the AEBS and a traditional scanner that I pull from its box when I need to scan since I don't have enough desk space to leave it out (and I don't scan all that often).