"Funding cuts leave many without home heating assistance in Macon" (When you see it)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattSepeta, Dec 21, 2010.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Continue...

Story Photo:
    [​IMG]
    Caption: "WOODY MARSHALL/THE TELEGRAPH Showing her Georgia Power bills in the one warm room of her home, Raymeica Kelly explains how her mother, sister and herself were turned away from the Energy Assistance Program on Wednesday morning after standing in line for four hours. All three complained that the system the Macon-Bibb County Economic Opportunity Council uses to give out the assistance needs improving."

Why isn't the government doing more to help her? Those nasty conservatives must really, really hate the poor.

Couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Of course, the irony is that you'd actually advocate for the government doing less for her.

They should just put on another sweater and suffer like our forefathers did. :rolleyes:

4. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

In the article...

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- she should just got start a business with all that government assistance she's obviously getting.

Who in the fed voted to cut the funding? Why can we go overseas and kill hundreds of thousand of people, but not help our own? Seems to be plenty of money for killing.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

So are you against the cuts in funding? Or glad that the funds were cut?

8. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Now you've gone and done it.

Of course I advocate doing less for her. I advocate doing NOTHING for her.

I bet she wouldn't be too tough to track down though, and I'm sure she would appreciate any "help" you would be willing to give her from your own personal bank account. I'd prefer to not give.

[​IMG]

MATHS: 60" TV + xBOX360 > heat for over 5 years

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe she bought those when she had a job and is now unemployed and on assistance? You are too quick to judge.

10. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

lol

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So Matt, now you're the product police... judging people by their household appliances?

Nice. :rolleyes:

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Personally, I would have sold the TV and gaming system before seeking assistance.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

14. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I do not know a single person with a TV that big.

15. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

How utterly callous and hateful of you.

Seriously though, do the math. a 60" TV and an XBox 360 with two controllers, sold even at half what she paid for them, would heat her house for over 5 years.

I have no sympathy.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I know, I know. I'd rather not help the billionaires keep their tax break, but luckily for you I have no choice.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I read the article. She's back in work and needs a little help to tide her over, that's all.

Is this bucks and t-bone steaks v2.0? Not sure I can side with people mocking others who can only afford to heat one room in the house. Kicking people when they're down is a sure sign of jerkism.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You do know that the vast majority of people who get assistance do not stay on it. I guess before we ask for help from the government, we should sell absolutely everything we own. This is truly amazing of you, Matt. Do you think she drives a Cadillac too? :rolleyes:

19. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

And expecting the government to heat your house rather than selling your toy game machine is a sure sign of.... Well.... Greed, entitlement, idiocy, etc...

No, I don't. I am not a fool.

The fact remains: Rather than selling her toy game machine, she expects US to pay for her heating. I am not talking aobut making HUGE sacrifices to stay warm in the winter, I am talking about giving up one simple luxury.

Selling JUST the XBox would heat her home for the rest of the winter until she found work.

When I was unemployed I did multiple medical trials, sold my xbox original and all my movies, etc. Guess I did the wrong thing.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Scrooge? Is that you?

Hear any chains rattling around your house while you sleep at night?

21. aristobrat macrumors G5

Nobody here knows her situation, but she's quoted as being familiar with how the system worked years ago. :?

When I lost my job in Chicago years ago (and had to move back to VA), I sold everything but the essentials and used the money to live off. Just seemed like the right thing to do before asking for public help.

22. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

The fact that you vote (I assume) tickles me pink.

Exactly.

Don't get me wrong, I realize and understand that we do need a system for people who genuinely need help: Blind, mental illness, physical handicaps, etc, but claiming you deserve government help to pay for your heat when you are photographed standing in front of a tv bigger than any I have seen in real life is beyond the pale.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Perhaps she tried to sell it but couldn't? It's not exactly a buyer's market out there in this economy.

Also, I doubt she's the one playing the Xbox, it's probably for her kids and she doesn't want to take it away from them if she doesn't have to, understandable. In fact, you don't even know if it's her Xbox, maybe her kid saved up money he earned mowing lawns to buy it.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah, because selling the kid's toys for a pittance is what society should be striving for. It might be the only diversion they've got as they're stuck in one room together and I don't begrudge them that at all.

Thanks for bringing this story to our attention in this season and mocking others who have lost so much dignity that they're one step away from begging; it really drives the christian message of Xmas home, you know, the one where innkeepers turned Joseph and Mary away.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I know, right? You should never buy any luxury item until you are 100% sure you're never going to be in economic hardship ever again, because if you DO buy yourself nice things and then make mistakes and find yourself in trouble, you deserve no help, and in fact deserve hardship as punishment. You must suffer. Deal with it.

I for one enjoy the thought of this horrible, overreaching, greedy, nasy, entitled, whiny woman being cold tonight. I hope her toes get frostbitten and her toilet freezes and cracks. I hope people, on hearing her story, sit back with a self-satisfied smile and chuckle "serves her right".

I wouldn't lift a finger to help her. You know how those people are anyway, right? The kind of people that just take help and abuse it? Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile. Always have their hand out. Can't manage their money either, she probably got her paycheck and blew the whole thing on eating out and buying trinkets without even thinking about her bills. She needs to be taught a lesson. Maybe sitting in a freezing house will chill some sense into her.

She probably has her heat way up all the time anyway. Stupid woman. I hope her house gets so cold ice forms on the floor and she slips and breaks her back. Then she'll have her hand out again for medical expenses, you know she will! Like it's someone else's fault! You never hear the end of these people.