Funeral home accused of refusing to cremate gay man

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
So the funeral home had a chance to send a gay guy to hell and chose not too?
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/05/03/funeral-home-accused-of-refusing-to-cremate-gay-man/22067251/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

An 82-year-old widower, John Jack Zawadski, is suing Picayune Funeral Home in Mississippi because it refused to cremate his husband, Robert Huskey, after they found out through paperwork that he was gay, saying they didn't "deal with their kind."

After the couple's nephew, John Gaspari, made a verbal agreement with the funeral home for final services, the funeral home called him after his uncle's passing, to tell him that they "adamantly" refused to provide the service after learning that his spouse was a male.

This left the grieving family scrambling to find another funeral home as the nursing home Huskey lived in said the body needed to be moved because they didn't have a morgue.

They ended up 90 miles away in Hattiesburg, MS, leaving some friends and family unable to pay their final respects.

TheAppleFairy

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I think he's just tired. You may be taking a toll on him.

I agree, I usually have to read Steve's comments a couple of times just to understand them. His post take a toll on me.

EDIT: Changed this post a little, I don't mean to be mean. Just wanted to make the point his post are sometimes hard to understand.

Last edited:

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
It's one thing to not cater a gay wedding because you don't condone the practice of gay marriage (I don't agree with people who do this, but I would, in my somewhat extreme views of free speech, support their right to do it), but refusing to perform someone's funeral because they're "not your kind" is viewing people as subhuman, and there's no excuse for that, I don't care what your religious views are.

And I thought "so the funeral home had a chance to send a gay guy to hell and chose not to" was funny. Made my day.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
This is a grossly offensive statement. The only religious group I see recently setting people on fire while they are still alive are radical muslims. Is that the group you are referring to?
Did they not teach metaphors in bible study?

I would imagine that people who believe so strongly about talking bushes and snakes would be familiar with the concept.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
He's stereotyping what a Mexican Midget would eat. At least he didn't say a mini taco.
&
That would be a rules violation, I do believe.
Really? then would this be a rules violation? Call the mods if you feel so moved.
I agree, I usually have to read Steve's comments a couple of times just to understand what he's trying to say. His post take a toll on me. I usually have my 3 year old interpret them for me.
This is a grossly offensive statement. The only religious group I see recently setting people on fire while they are still alive are radical muslims. Is that the group you are referring to?
You and your definitions, please define 'recently'.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe