Funniest and most devastating DShow evar!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Aug 24, 2010.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Pure brilliant.

Unfortunately Fox isn't stupid they're just evil.

3. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

4. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

One wonders if the producers of that Faux News show (the little round-table one, I don't know the name, I have more taste than to watch that channel) got a call from Corporate: "Lay off the Prince. Now."

5. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

"If they're not evil..."
    "If they're not stupid..."

Absolutely hilarious piece.

The sad thing is that many news organizations have business ties they don't like to share openly at every potential opportunity. The NBC/General-Electric tie comes to mind immediately. We could go on and on about Soros and Murdoch... one of the many reasons more and more Americans are turning to smaller more independent organizations for their news, or going to sources which are purposefully biased so they at least know where the person is coming from and they can take the content with a grain of salt.

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Funny stuff! Using the tactics of Fox "News" on Fox "News." Rupert Murdoch is obviously a Muslim and is secretly trying to undermine our country.

7. supercaliber macrumors regular

I stumbled on this guys rant on Fox

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/networks/foxnews/foxnews.html

Rather interesting and entertaining.

I love his graphs where fox is skewed at the exact opposite of NPR. With CNN smack in the middle.

I will tell you why I watch Fox and CNN. Its called perspective. Having just one is scary.

There two important rules i use when it comes to media: 1. is there is always an agenda. Are we really to believe that NPR is the source of truth for all mankind? Please. 2. If you get your news from one place, you are a pawn for that agenda.

One other point everyone seems to forget. Once every century or so it is the masses of humanity that become so brainwashed by media bias that they fail to see what is really happening in the world around them.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Interesting. The chart that show the frequency of misperceptions of the Iraq War shows that Fox had 80% viewer misperceptions compared to NPR with 23%. I wouldn't say that indicates that watching Fox gives perspective unless you consider having misperceptions as perspective. That is scary.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, it is scary. Fox News has never proven itself to be reliable- ever. They have even flat out stated that they have the right to basically lie.

10. supercaliber macrumors regular

Misperceptions as described by the left?, the right?, europe?, Iraq citizens. The list goes on and on. One might ask, are the graphs themselves a misrepresentation of the truth. Probably.

Well I will agree with one thing, NPR is on one end and Fox is on the other. Makes for interesting research. Why don't we dig into the answer to each of those questions and find out who is misguiding the public. Maybe there is a bit of lying on both sides. So CNN sits in the middle, what does that mean? They are the only ones telling the truth. Probably not.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, I've seen both Olbermann and Maddow talk about GE owning MSNBC (and NBC) several times in the last couple of months alone....

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

80% of Fox viewers said that evidence was found that links the Iraqi government and al-Qaeda terrorists, and evidence of weapons of mass destruction. The question wasn't if they believed it to be true, but if there was evidence. Could you link to that evidence?

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

A few years back someone coined the brilliant portmanteau "malcompetence" to convey the fact that these options are not mutually exclusive.

14. supercaliber macrumors regular

First, i am not going to defend any news network as I think they all have their own agenda. I am merely explaining that trying to label one as more truthful than the other only means that one is more in line with your belief system than the other.

Ultimately, you have to choose whom to trust with information like this. The person delivering the message, the person gathering the data, the person providing the data that is being gathered, et cetera.

Most Bush supporters will likely never believe that Bush/Powell flat out lied about Al-Qaeda. They will generally believe they acted on the evidence they had at the time. Looking back and deciding that evidence was bogus would be a little silly. Kinda like saying a copy shot some robber with a gun only to find out later it wasn't a robber but a kid in a halloween costume and it wasn't a gun it was a water pistol.

As for why skeptics still linger on Al-Qaeda. I would say a few things, one is that a person's gut reaction is that of course these bad dudes were in cahoots, they were neighbors and they all hated america. Second, is that there is evidence Al-qaeda leaders were chilling in Iraq

Senate summary

http://intelligence.senate.gov/080605/phase2a.pdf

[Bush Administration] "statements were substantiated by the intelligence, as were statements on on Zarqawi's presence in Iraq, and statement that Iraq and Al-Qa'ida had had contacts"

Yes, the summary goes on to downplay that contact between Iraq and Al-Qa'ida, but that is not my point. The point is that for people that don't trust the media or the government, they will cling to information like the above and draw their own conclusions, not letting some senate committee make a decision for them.

A Bush hater would say "yeah Al-Qaeda was only in Iraq for a social lunch no evidence of anything else so it didn't happen"

A Bush lover would say "so Al-Qaeda was in Iraq and in contact with Hussein and you want to believe they weren't aware of each others plans to take down america, yeah, I have a big bridge to sell you"

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, unfortunately for you, Fox News makes and promotes more stories benefitting themselves and ideology more than any of the other stations. You may be right that they all have their agendas, but quantitatively Fox takes the top slot hands down.

Attached Files:

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The irony is astounding.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ya think?? :rolleyes:

18. supercaliber macrumors regular

So when you look at those graphs Fox is more propaganda than news because they are at the top? Would you say NPR therefore is the most truthful?

One way to look at is that the truth is actually more in the center. With the liars on the ends.

As is your trite criticism

You have me figured, darned it... but sorry i don't listen to O'reilly or Beck.

It is a rant. Did you read it? Just because you might believe every word does not mean the guying isn't ranting.

19. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I think you completely misunderstand the graphs.

They asked if an objective fact were true or not. Those who watch Fox got the answer wrong, objectively wrong. There were no ties between al-Qaeda and Saddam Hussein, that is a fact, but viewers of Fox thought there was more than the viewers of any other news.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Saw that Daily Show. Yes, the takedown of Fox was terrific.

And the ability of TDS's audience to welcome evildoers like Blagojevich or Dick Armey with polite applause continues to amaze me.

Same here. And why should they be afraid to talk about their network's ownership?

21. supercaliber macrumors regular

Well i already provided a link to a senate committee that shows some communication with Iraq and Al-qaeda did happen, I would agree that that is a "fact". What is argued is whether those ties had anything to do with operations or active terrorism, which the consensus is they did not.

I always am uncomfortable with "facts" that are prefaced with words like consensus as you may already know.

From your perspective then we should turn off all news except NPR because they are clearly the only network that truly educates everyone according to the "facts"

22. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

From this post I get two things: You like putting words in my mouth, and you have no academic integrity. It's not even worth responding point by point to this post.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

24. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Bush wanted nothing more than finding evidence of weapons of mass destruction to validate their invasion of Iraq. You're suggesting there was evidence that Fox viewers were aware of but the Bush camp wasn't.

25. supercaliber macrumors regular

Well that is a pretty scathing post if i don't say so myself. My apologies for offending you.

I was trying to put your comments in perspective of the data in the graph, not to twist your words or put words in your mouth.

You said i misunderstood the graph that the question was about a fact, whether you understood the fact or believed the opposite, a black and white answer. At the top of the graph was fox, the news corp whose listeners most believed fiction. At the bottom is NPR, the news corp whose listeners most believed fact. In the middle was CNN. So if it is indeed a fact as you say then NPR is the best at talking about facts. That is all i was saying.

As to my academic integrity. Opinions on Iraq and al-Qaeda are not created by academics but typically politicians and cabinet committees. I have no obligation to "trust" the myriad of sources on this topic. On the contrary i have an obligation to be skeptical. Doing research on this issue is actually mind-boggling complicated. At this point I have not studied enough to agree with the consensus that it is a fact. If that means I do not have academic integrity, then so be it.